My topic of musings and ideas

Started by Tripredacus, February 27, 2011, 05:30:04 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tripredacus

February 27, 2011, 05:30:04 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
This will be my topic of random questions regarding the use of the site, and how things should be properly classified. Move this topic as needed, as this "help us" section seems similar to the one that preceeds it.

1. I have "partial" toys for items that I can't properly select in the database. Example, I have Brainstorm's box, instructions and guns but no other items. It is impossible to add an item into your collection (or at least a box) if you do not own the figure. I have approximately 5 boxes without toys.

2. Will there be a time where pre-TFs are included into the database? I have a couple Diaclone and a Beetras toy obviously I can't add because those options do not exist. They do, however, use the same mold as other toys that are already existing in the database.

3. I saw another topic concerning bootlegs before and it didn't end up well. Personally, I consider bootlegs and "third part" toys to be in the same bunch. I do have some bootleg items that are noteworthy, but there is no option to add them into the database. Example here is MIB Kingdam Starscream, which is a Pre-TF (Diaclone) bootleg.

4. G1 package variations concerning Decoys. This is a tough subject concerning a database, with exception to the ones in the yellow cover. Sealed toys can have multiple different decoys with them. Even so, if a decoy is added separately, can they be associated with a specific toy? I haven't tried to add any decoys yet, since I haven't found them yet.

Oh and do not worry about the great reduction in my collection number. That was done by me as I re-inventory everything. So anything in my collection atm are confirmed to be owned by me.  :mrgreen:

engledogg

February 27, 2011, 06:12:24 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Tripredacus"
1. I have "partial" toys for items that I can't properly select in the database. Example, I have Brainstorm's box, instructions and guns but no other items. It is impossible to add an item into your collection (or at least a box) if you do not own the figure. I have approximately 5 boxes without toys.
You should be able to, I think...just add the toy to your collection, set the condition to Opened/MIB and then deselect everything that you're missing, including the figure.  True, it's not really MIB, but at least it'll show up in your collection.

2. Will there be a time where pre-TFs are included into the database? I have a couple Diaclone and a Beetras toy obviously I can't add because those options do not exist. They do, however, use the same mold as other toys that are already existing in the database.
Expansion to other toylines is planned...stay tuned.

3. I saw another topic concerning bootlegs before and it didn't end up well. Personally, I consider bootlegs and "third part" toys to be in the same bunch. I do have some bootleg items that are noteworthy, but there is no option to add them into the database. Example here is MIB Kingdam Starscream, which is a Pre-TF (Diaclone) bootleg.
See above.

4. G1 package variations concerning Decoys. This is a tough subject concerning a database, with exception to the ones in the yellow cover. Sealed toys can have multiple different decoys with them. Even so, if a decoy is added separately, can they be associated with a specific toy? I haven't tried to add any decoys yet, since I haven't found them yet.
The U.S. decoys are a unique situation...as far as I know, it was possible to get any Autobot decoy with each of the Throttlebots or Autobot Combiner limbs and any Decepticon decoy with each of the Throttlebots or Decepticon combiner limbs, which would make for an astronomical number of possible package pairings.  

If the decoys were available on their own, in some way, it would make life a heck of a lot easier.  I've been told in the past that the decoys were available individually in vending machines, but I've yet to come up with any concrete confirmation that this was the case.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

February 28, 2011, 08:42:41 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "engledogg"
You should be able to, I think...just add the toy to your collection, set the condition to Opened/MIB and then deselect everything that you're missing, including the figure. True, it's not really MIB, but at least it'll show up in your collection.
Exactly right. Any objection to that approach, Trip?

Tripredacus

March 01, 2011, 11:19:16 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'm thinking that could skew the overall collection number. Would it be popular to represent that you have an item when you only have the box? While it would be fine for personal reasons, others can be picky about how things are counted.

I'm also thinking about particular pieces of a toy overall besides the box as well... Perhaps this conversation should be left for a future addition to the site, as it may not be particularly important right now, not even to me. Take these examples:

Brainstorm: I have the box but no toy or anything else. Of course I need these other items.
Powermaster Optimus Prime (Re-issue): I have the box and the foam, nothing else
Jetfire G1 US: I have everything except the gun clip, armor peices and the armor foam.
Blitzwing G1 Canada: I have everything except the cardboard backer
Sunstreaker G1: I have nothing except the plastic bubble

In addition to the normal wants of figure, accessories, tech spec/decoder, instructions, I have the following types of have/wants in my collection:
- box
- cardboard backer
- plastic bubble (ie I have the bubble for Blitzwing but not the cardboard backer)
- foam insert (as opposed to the cardboard backer/plastic bubble combination)

Hmmm this is a can of worms! So technically, I am seeing my US Jetfire as not being complete (I'm not concerned about the accessories right now because they are easy to find) until I can get the Armor foam for inside the box. Here is a picture example of what I mean:

Also regarding this picture, is it a problem for me to upload the picture of the Canada Jetfire even tho the gun clip is not in the picture or would you rather pictures be complete even for rarer items like this?

shmax

March 02, 2011, 02:40:42 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'm thinking that could skew the overall collection number. Would it be popular to represent that you have an item when you only have the box? While it would be fine for personal reasons, others can be picky about how things are counted.
I don't think you need to worry too much about that--we have plans for a new, more robust ranking system that will have an "ownership" heuristic to decide how much credit you should get for each toy owned. The system will be smart enough to read your checklist, and tally accordingly.

I'm also thinking about particular pieces of a toy overall besides the box as well... Perhaps this conversation should be left for a future addition to the site, as it may not be particularly important right now, not even to me. Take these examples:

Brainstorm: I have the box but no toy or anything else. Of course I need these other items.
Powermaster Optimus Prime (Re-issue): I have the box and the foam, nothing else
Jetfire G1 US: I have everything except the gun clip, armor peices and the armor foam.
Blitzwing G1 Canada: I have everything except the cardboard backer
Sunstreaker G1: I have nothing except the plastic bubble
Sigh, another vote for tracking packaging inserts. I guess there's really nothing stopping us from tracking that stuff, other than sheer dread on the part of the people that have been doing most of the data entry. Personally I'd like to avoid doing it, just because it will sort of clutter things up more, and the g1 toys are already parts pinatas, and I would then be obliged to come up with photos for them all. But if there are more of you out there interested in this stuff, please speak up.

Also regarding this picture, is it a problem for me to upload the picture of the Canada Jetfire even tho the gun clip is not in the picture or would you rather pictures be complete even for rarer items like this?
Up to Engledogg really, as he does most of the reviewing, but I would think that if you took an otherwise stellar picture (see our infamously fussy guidelines), we would probably be grateful for even a photo of an incomplete rare item.

Tripredacus

March 05, 2011, 09:04:03 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I've got to charge up my camera. I haven't used it in a few years now and I wanted to upload a picture of the Skywarp Numeral Candle. Unfortunatly, using a scanner wasn't a great idea!

Anyways, if we are to have the ability to add artifacts (so-called merchandise), I need a category in USBeast Wars for merchandise. Then I can add the Beast Wars Transforming Glass! :)

Tripredacus

March 07, 2011, 02:21:55 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I was thinking about that Numeral Candle again. Is there a method for updating photos for items? The reason I ask is that the Skywarp Numeral Candle I have is pretty beat up. Do people have the ability to update a photo if they have something in better condition?

Also, how are we to treat merchandise? Is it an anything goes type thing? For example, should I add Transformers napkins?

... yes I actually have at least one pack of those...

But should we be staying away from things like books and video games? I already saw a card game was added, which was why I added Magnetix...

shmax

March 07, 2011, 05:46:53 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'll leave it up to you and the mods to decide whether or not to add napkins and the like, but yes, if someone comes along with a better photo for something they are more than welcome to stomp over any existing photo (though you don't update it--you simply add the new one and delete the old one). Get snappin'!

Tripredacus

March 12, 2011, 03:46:44 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I've noticed that a lot of the toys are separated by assortment, but there is no place that I can readily find that explains these differences. Some of the differences are in the toy descriptions, but not always. For example, I have a G1 Cosmos. I know it is not the Patch version (it is loose) but the descriptions for the other two options lend no comparison of their differences. That being said, i do not know which to pick. I imagine there may be other users that do not know the difference either, and likely choose the one that has the higher "owned" count.

EDIT: Actually after trying to add a bunch of G1 stuff, I see where my misunderstanding is. It is because both packaging and toy variations are all lumped in together. So if I am trying to figure out which loose toy I have, I can't possibly tell just based on assortment number. Especially since these assortment differences may both contain the exact same toy, as opposed to Snarl which does actually have two different toys.

Is the signature/stats generated based on total number of toys less package/figure variations? I think a major draw to this site could be to make it more user friendly to those who aren't hardcore enough to care about assortment numbers, mold variations or plastic vs rubber/metal parts. How you would go about making a change like this is beyond me, as it would be something that should be designed from the start.

When I first designed my TF database site (it never went live due to time constraints, instead my current site is what is left of it) was to keep loose and sealed figures separate. Of course it was a difficult task to design the database (which I did) but it appeared to be too much work for me so I scrapped it. Although I give you props for using UPC/Assortments because I hadn't thought of that.  :D

Tripredacus

March 16, 2011, 02:05:56 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Two things.

I was reading tfwiki today and was shocked to discover that the Jawbreaker toy doesn't actually exist. This is a problem for me because... I have it on my site, and have had for quite a long time. This was an older item that should be in my TF binder at home. Which is (btw) a list of all TF toys up until 2007 which is the date my website goes up to. Here is a picture of it.  :mrgreen:

And I swore that I had gotten this information from the (now defunct) International Tech Spec Archive... since my very first "toy binder" was actually that entire website printed out... I may be mistaken, but I do believe I must have a picture of it at home somewhere, or perhaps more information on one of my archived sites.

Alas I notice it isn't listed here so that is a good thing.

And then I am reminded of another question... about pictures. I have a LOT of pictures for TFs, and a LOT of them are from a long time ago and from websites that no longer exist. I understand why the picture policy says that the picture must be yours but I am trying to think of another way to do that. At least you guys are taking the safe route, unlike my site which uses pictures from all over the place. Of course I do not remove watermarks at all and have only had one instance of an "internet battle" but that was with a fanartist on Allspark.  :oops:

Anyways, so I am thinking what if I have a picture of something that isn't on here, but isn't mine and may be potentially watermarked. Is there a way to disclaim that out so I can use them? For example, what happens (no promise) if I find a picture of this elusive Jawbreaker (or some other rare item) what would I do with it?

Well that's enough rambling for now. I have a mission for when I get home!

engledogg

March 16, 2011, 03:12:26 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Jawbreaker...do you mean Beast Wars Jawbreaker?

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/454/jawbreaker

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

March 16, 2011, 07:52:26 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Anyways, so I am thinking what if I have a picture of something that isn't on here, but isn't mine and may be potentially watermarked. Is there a way to disclaim that out so I can use them?
Well, we currently have permission to use photos from BBTS, so those are the only exceptions to the must-be-yours rule. All the others you have in your collection are out, I'm afraid. If it makes you feel any better, chances are very slim that any of them meet our notoriously fussy photo requirements, anyway.

Why not get yourself a camera and a light tent and join the fun? Rare and exotic items are all well and good, but there are plenty of common items that we need photos of...

Tripredacus

March 17, 2011, 06:42:50 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest

MIKE
engledogg
Nope I got that one at release time.  8)

This one:
http://tripredacus.net/toys/tf/tf1988uk.php

I got ya Shmax. Maybe I should email my contact at unicron to see if my image permission also applies to here. Yes I had actually gotten permission from Unicron and BBTS back in the olden days. :)

Anyways, it appears I archived my TF images since most of the old stuff isn't on my PC anymore. Might be on my Win98 PC and I can check that this weekend, otherwise it will be DVD searching extravaganza time again...

EDIT: I wanted to add this. I was looking at my signature for collection after my post. I notice you have Korea Car Robots as the choice for the Korean (Sonokong) versions of the Car Robots toys. I had my Brave Max box translated a long time ago and it came out as "Car Bot" which may be close enough. What do you think?

engledogg

March 17, 2011, 07:11:50 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest

MIKE
engledogg
Nope I got that one at release time.  8)

This one:
http://tripredacus.net/toys/tf/tf1988uk.php

Ah...he was released, in Europe, but under the name "Cackle".

MIKE
engledogg

Tripredacus

March 18, 2011, 10:46:21 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Ah no not that one. Originally there was a problem where UK Comic calls Overbite "Jawbreaker" and there were some reports that Overbite was released as Jawbreaker in 1988 in the UK. Now why this shows up as an urban legend because other than those early ATT bits of info, it hasn't been proven to exist. Then again, I can't say for sure that I've seen a UK Overbite box, tech spec or instruction either, forget about seeing a Jawbreaker. But people in the UK and Europe remember having Seacon toys, alas unknown if they had Italian or even US import versions. Tomorrow is my TF day so I'll see if I can find my backups. I checked all my old website versions and I had it listed then too but no pictures, which isn't all that surprising.

Go Up