[RESOLVED]Things that need to be fixed

Started by Tripredacus, November 20, 2007, 04:05:12 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tripredacus

November 20, 2007, 04:05:12 PM Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:22:29 AM by shmax
1. If you search for something, then click on the nav menu on the left, it only allows you to see search results within that section, instead of bringing you to the section index.

2. When you click the Next button, it goes to the last page. This happens here:
<!-- m -->http://www.shmax.com/Database/232?page=1<!-- m -->

3. Energon gestalt limbs are sometimes described with the designation number and sometimes not.

4. This guy here: <!-- m -->http://www.shmax.com/Package_Details/17 ... Packaging_<!-- m -->
Never had a regular packaging. All releases are Powerlinx Battles.

5. There are numerous Energon toys that have Powerlinx Battles pictures but no listing. Also note that not all Powerlinx Battles toys had regular Energon releases.

That's it for now. I'll look at it more after dinner.

shmax

November 20, 2007, 04:31:29 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Quote from: "Tripredacus"
1. If you search for something, then click on the nav menu on the left, it only allows you to see search results within that section, instead of bringing you to the section index.
I'm not sure I quite follow that one--can you run it past me, play by play?

2. When you click the Next button, it goes to the last page. This happens here:
http://www.shmax.com/Database/232?page=1
I agree that it's a bit confusing, but what "Next" does is take you to the next 5 pages, not the next page. One of these days I'll look at it, but it's not my code and I'm not crazy about tearing into it, so it's fairly low priority at the moment.

3. Energon gestalt limbs are sometimes described with the designation number and sometimes not.
In a week or two, I'll enable my long-promised user-modification system, so you can just go in there and edit them yourself. I've been putting that off forever, but I'm running out of fun easy stuff to do, so I'll get on it soon...

4. This guy here: http://www.shmax.com/Package_Details/17 ... Packaging_
Never had a regular packaging. All releases are Powerlinx Battles.
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I gave the "basic" category the same treatment as the "deluxe" category, such that it is further sub-divided into "package 1" and "package 2". Good enough?

5. There are numerous Energon toys that have Powerlinx Battles pictures but no listing. Also note that not all Powerlinx Battles toys had regular Energon releases.
Add 'em! Seriously, if you can find a picture on Bigbadtoystore, or somewhere else that will give permission, have at it.

That's it for now. I'll look at it more after dinner.
Thanks much for the tips! Keep 'em coming...

- shmax

Tripredacus

November 20, 2007, 04:48:59 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Tripredacus
I have permission to reuse images from BBTS and Unicron.com but this isn't my site. It's yours. You need to get that permission, not I. You can use me as a reference if you want. It should be noted that I crop all images that I use on my own.

I won't add more Energon toys until a definition can be made for each type.

What are your thoughts on international Transformers?

This page here: http://www.shmax.com/Database/184
The term is "Operation Combination" but please note that the toys themselves are just Transformers, or to be exact, Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformer. I don't know how exact you want to be here.

As far as people being able to modify entries, I strongly suggest you only have database moderators and do not allow the general public to modify your site. There are two ways you can handle this. Have DB mods that seek out stuff on their own and look at the forum. The second option would be to put a suggestions button on each page that once inputted would allow people to see suggestions. As far as security and moderation goes, you can set this up as a simple comment box that only admins and moderators can use.

Since you are obviously doing a lot of customisation to this CMS you're going to have to figure out how it all works together. I don't know this forum base at all, I only have experience with IPB integration so I can't help you with that.

shmax

November 20, 2007, 05:01:17 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
I have permission to reuse images from BBTS and Unicron.com but this isn't my site. It's yours. You need to get that permission, not I. You can use me as a reference if you want. It should be noted that I crop all images that I use on my own.
I already have permission from BBTS. That's why I suggested using their photos.

I won't add more Energon toys until a definition can be made for each type.
What do you mean?

What are your thoughts on international Transformers?

This page here: http://www.shmax.com/Database/184
The term is "Operation Combination" but please note that the toys themselves are just Transformers, or to be exact, Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformer. I don't know how exact you want to be here.
I love 'em. But I don't have the resources to add them. It'll be up to the users, once they start showing up en masse.

As far as people being able to modify entries, I strongly suggest you only have database moderators and do not allow the general public to modify your site. There are two ways you can handle this. Have DB mods that seek out stuff on their own and look at the forum. The second option would be to put a suggestions button on each page that once inputted would allow people to see suggestions. As far as security and moderation goes, you can set this up as a simple comment box that only admins and moderators can use.
Not to worry, all user mods will wind up in a "pending" bucket, that must be approved by a moderator. I've done my homework, and know how to set things up such that it's safe and fun for all. Worry not!

Since you are obviously doing a lot of customisation to this CMS you're going to have to figure out how it all works together. I don't know this forum base at all, I only have experience with IPB integration so I can't help you with that.
The entire site is homegrown. The forum is really only here so you and other folks can tell me how I should be doing things. I haven't done any customization to it. But yes, user mods are a big feature, which is why I've been dreading getting around to it. But again, I know what to do, it's just a matter of getting off my lazy butt. And how can I possible concentrate on a big feature like that before I've gotten all 120 stars in Mario Galaxy? How, I ask you, HOW? ;)

- shmax

Tripredacus

November 20, 2007, 05:36:09 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Tripredacus
Japanese Headmasters has no regular entry to add, oh, say... Chromedome...

shmax

November 20, 2007, 05:42:25 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Japanese Headmasters has no regular entry to add, oh, say... Chromedome...
Come again? Remember that I am but a humble coder, and not really expert in these things. Is there something I need to do?

Tripredacus

November 20, 2007, 06:26:03 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Tripredacus
You have no default Entry for this group. Only sub-groups. Thus you get an error if you try to choose just "Headmasters" but your form is expecting a child selection.

shmax

November 21, 2007, 02:27:10 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
You have no default Entry for this group. Only sub-groups. Thus you get an error if you try to choose just "Headmasters" but your form is expecting a child selection.
What do you suggest? Is there something we can add that would be appropriate for Chromedome and his pals, or should we just blow away all the sub-categories in Headmasters?

- shmax

Tripredacus

November 28, 2007, 08:18:07 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Tripredacus
It depends, do you want your sections to reflect the television shows or what is actually printed on the boxes?

shmax

November 28, 2007, 08:24:45 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
It depends, do you want your sections to reflect the television shows or what is actually printed on the boxes?
Well, I guess I'm more interested in grouping by assortment. With American toys, it's a no-brainer, I just use case assortment designations, which I generally get from here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200410092050 ... index.html

I don't recall where I got the Japanese sub-categories that I do have, I probably just roughed them in using some other site as a guide.

Does that help?

- shmax

Go Up