KidTDragon's Excellent Light Box Adventure

Started by KidTDragon, September 01, 2009, 05:49:03 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

KidTDragon

September 01, 2009, 05:49:03 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
After some prodding from Shmax ( ;) ) I'm building a light box so I can contribute photos to this fine website. Hopefully some of you veteran photogs can throw some opinions and answers my way.

First up: The desk lamps I bought say I shouldn't put in any bulbs higher than 60W. Should I heed this advice and try to find lamps that can handle 200W, or is this just the lamp manufacturer covering their ass?

Speaking of bulbs, the 200W GE Reveal bulb I bought is labeled as a "reader" light and is white instead of clear like the other two wattages. Should I look for a clear-glass 200W bulb, or will this be okay?

Thirdly: I bought a cheap 250 thread count bedsheet to cut up to diffuse the light from the lamps. Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a better kind of cloth I should use?
<br />

shmax

September 01, 2009, 08:16:06 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hey amigo, thanks for all the db updates you've been doing lately, everything's looking great so far. We've already talked a bit about the box a bit, and I'm new to this myself so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt, or even better, completely ignored, but I'll get the ball rolling while we wait for the other experts to wake up (they're all crashed-out from working on photos all day):

Quote from: "KidTDragon"
First up: The desk lamps I bought say I shouldn't put in any bulbs higher than 60W. Should I heed this advice and try to find lamps that can handle 200W, or is this just the lamp manufacturer covering their ass?
I did a little digging around online trying to answer this, and I still don't know:
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-09-15/ ... ttage-bulb

My sister happened to have a ceramic clamp light fixture that claims to be rated up to more than 600W, so I've been using that for my 200W. Why not head over to your local radio shack and see if they have a cheap fixture that's similarly rated? They do sell clamp fixtures at Target rated as high as 150W for about $6 each. Could you get away with using a 200W in a 150W fixture? Maybe, but I'm certainly not going to recommend it. Why risk it? If you're going for 3 lights and you need an extra clamp fixture anyway, probably best to look around for a heavy duty one. Some of the other experts will probably tell you that you don't need a 200W bulb, particularly if you're making a small box, but I couldn't imagine life with my mega-box without one.

Speaking of bulbs, the 200W GE Reveal bulb I bought is labeled as a "reader" light and is white instead of clear like the other two wattages. Should I look for a clear-glass 200W bulb, or will this be okay?
Mine is opaque, as well. Seems to work just fine. I believe that the opaque bulbs create more of a "soft" light, which is just groovy.

Thirdly: I bought a cheap 250 thread count bedsheet to cut up to diffuse the light from the lamps. Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a better kind of cloth I should use?
I'm sure it'll be fine, but I think you're a nut for not just scavenging something. Go raid your Aunt Petunia's crafts box and purloin some pretty satin, or silk, or something! Seriously, just about anything will probably do just fine. This guy recommends just going to a crafts store and getting $4 worth of white muslin, or even cutting up an old T-shirt (he also leaves the rest of us penny-pinchers in the dust by using a skeevy old cardboard box he found behind the 7-11, which is just fine). The "professional" boxes are made from nylon.  I used some sort of shiny satin stuff. So yeah, anything will probably work just swell, including your sheet, provided it's a good pure white and not sort of yellowish or stained with the remains of the chili you had for lunch. Do be aware that those bulbs get VERY HOT, and you definitely don't want them getting too close to the wrong kind of fabric.

KidTDragon

September 03, 2009, 06:53:24 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Glad I can help with the data, if not the photographs (yet).

I'm taking the lamps and bedsheet back today, and I'll hit Radio Shack to see if they have the lamps I want.

I picked up some sheets of 20x30 foam core at Pearl, and I was going to make a 20x20x30 light box. Think that'll be too big? (I do have a Megalo Convoy with box to photograph.)
<br />

shmax

September 03, 2009, 12:40:37 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Glad I can help with the data, if not the photographs (yet).

I'm taking the lamps and bedsheet back today, and I'll hit Radio Shack to see if they have the lamps I want.

I picked up some sheets of 20x30 foam core at Pearl, and I was going to make a 20x20x30 light box. Think that'll be too big? (I do have a Megalo Convoy with box to photograph.)
Sounds good. Regarding the height, I can tell you that I'm starting to think that 30" was too tall, and am considering shortening it. Most of the toys I'm shooting are so much smaller than that that I lose a lot of light from the top to attenuation. How tall is that Megalo Convoy? I'll bet even he falls far short of 30". Of course, you need some slack so that the there's room for the light to fill the box...

KidTDragon

September 03, 2009, 05:27:55 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
Sounds good. Regarding the height, I can tell you that I'm starting to think that 30" was too tall, and am considering shortening it. Most of the toys I'm shooting are so much smaller than that that I lose a lot of light from the top to attenuation. How tall is that Megalo Convoy? I'll bet even he falls far short of 30". Of course, you need some slack so that the there's room for the light to fill the box...
That's a good point. I'll have to measure him.

Any recommendations on where I can find 200W lamps? My local Radio Shack had bupkiss.
<br />

shmax

September 03, 2009, 05:48:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Any recommendations on where I can find 200W lamps? My local Radio Shack had bupkiss.
I found mine at Target. It's a "GE Reveal". I believe HS uses those, too--not sure about Engledogg and Wallas.

KidTDragon

September 03, 2009, 06:14:57 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I found mine at Target. It's a "GE Reveal". I believe HS uses those, too--not sure about Engledogg and Wallas.
I didn't see those last time, but I'll check again. I found GE Reveal bulbs but not lamps.
<br />

shmax

September 03, 2009, 06:18:51 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I misunderstood, sorry--I thought you meant the bulbs. I got lucky and discovered the lamp I needed already in the garage. You say Radio Shack didn't have them?  Hang on, I'm researching more info for you...

P.S. Turn on AIM!

I didn't see those last time, but I'll check again. I found GE Reveal bulbs but not lamps.

shmax

September 03, 2009, 10:51:25 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
A little more information:

Turns out that the clamp light I'm using out in the garage is a "heat lamp" intended for use with pet lizards, turtles, and other varmints.

Sis says that such a lamp will cost around $30, but fear not, for after a little digging I found the economy equivalent over at Home Depot (never buy anything, and I mean anything, at a pet store if you can possibly avoid it):

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/ ... ogId=10053

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHODQ/ref ... B0002DHODQ

And so on. I dunno, maybe it would be safer to just go with a 150W lamp and bulbs--it should be enough for a smaller box, and the lamps seem to be much easier to find.

KidTDragon

September 08, 2009, 04:26:15 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'll check those out. Thanks!
<br />

KidTDragon

September 09, 2009, 02:30:05 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
What's everyone's opinion on those twisty CFC bulbs? Are they any good for photography? I've got a few in my bathroom and they're bright as all get-out.
<br />

Meewash

September 09, 2009, 07:48:03 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hi,
A piece of advice. If you really want superb photos, use the sunlight. No lamps will ever be as good as the sun itself on a beautiful, sunny day. Really. Just put your lightbox in the direct sunlight and there you go. Of course it's not that always easy. But that's something you shoud be aiming at.
As far as the lamps are concerned, I suggest looking for lamps not only powerful but also capable of imitating the sunlight. I believe it's called the temperature of a lightbulb/the light or something like that. They should be around 5500K. Traditional lights are around 2000K or something.

shmax

September 09, 2009, 01:21:43 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Meewash, I appreciate the input, but that's not very sound advice. While the sun is surely nice and bright, it's not a reliable light source. Its color and brightness are dependant on the time of day, and of course on cloud cover. If used directly (without diffusing fabric of some kind) it will produce harsh, black shadows and specular glare. It can't be positioned or angled, and of course, you can't use it whenever you like. Even if the sun was otherwise perfect as a light source, most people will be doing this kind of work in the evenings, and will need a proper light box/lamps setup, anyway.  So let's focus on helping folks build a nice, conventional lightbox where every variable can be controlled!

KidTDragon

Threadomancy!

My chick got me a light box for Xmas, and I just set it up and played with it for the first time. It wasn't ideal conditions (can't find my camera tripod, no upper light), but I thought I could still get in a couple of test shots and see where I can start making tweaks. The light box came with two 75 watt lamps with bulbs (presumably) to match. I used my Canon Powershot S50 (flash off, default settings otherwise). Here are the results:

And the rig, if you care:

<br />

engledogg

shmax,

Is there anyway to set the board so that pics will be auto-sized to fit the normal width of a page?

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Go Up