Man, I wish You Guys Liked Black Backgrounds.

Started by DJ Soundwave, August 17, 2009, 06:34:39 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

DJ Soundwave

August 17, 2009, 06:34:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
In a way I wish you guys liked Black Backgrounds...... mainly cause that's what I perfer using .....

DJ Soundwave

August 17, 2009, 06:37:15 PM Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:53:44 PM by DJ Soundwave
Here's a couple pics I did with a White Background.... I just perfer Black, cause White leaves alot of Negative Space ...

These two pics I've altered with Photoshop....Let me know what you guys think of these ....

shmax

August 17, 2009, 06:52:52 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hi DJ, nice photos! I haven't announced this officially yet as I'm still trying to think things through, but in the relatively near future I'll be introducing a gallery feature where we won't be as fussy about the guidelines and a black background will be just fine if that's what you prefer to use.

As for your white background images, you'll want to:
- go with a higher resolution, at least 700px on the longest edge.
- try not to crop any parts of the figure out of the photo
- try for a pure white background. In your case it looks like you're using a single spotlight shining on the background. See our tutorial page for a description of how to set up a lightbox with multiple lights. Hellscream333 and Wallas use a muted lighting arrangement in which the lights shine through the translucent sides of the box to great effect--I'll be posting photos of what that looks like relatively soon.

Give it a try and we'll see how you do!

DJ Soundwave

August 17, 2009, 07:03:13 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Actually I got two Lamps facing at the picture ... as I said I used a little photshot, so I rendered the lighting...

Here's what the two pics originally looked like .Although it was still pretty dark.....Note I didn't Use the Flash cause People Say that it take away alot of Detail.... but it never seems to happen when I use black Backgrounds....

shmax

August 17, 2009, 07:16:42 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
How about a shot of your lightbox so we can see where your lights are? Engledogg, Hellscream333 and Wallas will be able to give you better advice than me, but seeing your setup will help quite a bit. You might also mention what kind of bulbs you're using--might just be a matter of needing to get some more powerful bulbs. You're also tackling a pretty difficult subject for your first experiments with that white figure; I don't think any of us would blame you if you wanted to save him for after you're an expert. ;)

Wallas

August 22, 2009, 03:23:00 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
No offense, but your black background isn't worth a squat if your pictures look like you're using Flashlamp. You heard of GunCon HK? That guy really knew how to use the black background...

Do something with your lights. Buy new ones if that's necessary

shmax

August 22, 2009, 03:42:12 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Wallas"
Do something with your lights. Buy new ones if that's necessary
Details, if you please, sir. How about telling us something about your lights? How many do you use? What kind? What wattage? And what's Flashlamp? If it's bad, why shouldn't we use it? Who's GunCon HK? Got any links?

DJ Soundwave

August 22, 2009, 11:31:04 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
wow Really? my Pictures don't look good at all........? Ohwell....I guess I'm glad I haven't take pictures of all my Transformers then....  

shmax

August 22, 2009, 02:01:07 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I think we need to get this thread back on track! The purpose of this forum is to help folks who are having trouble meeting the shmax.com photo guidelines. The black background photos are appreciated, but this isn't where they belong (once our gallery feature is live, you'll be able to post them there). If you're interested in participating in the upcoming photo contest, we'd like to see how you're doing with the white background (and other guideline nitpickery).

Wallas was a little less than constructive with his criticism, but yes, the flash is generally a bad idea, and as he says you probably need to start by looking at your light setup. What kind of bulbs are you using? Where are they placed? How about letting us have a look at your lightbox and lighting setup? And so on.

Wallas

August 31, 2009, 12:21:52 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Yep, being constructive isn't my strongest point, you got me there :P I'll try to explain myself later on today, I need to check the parameters of the lightbox I'm using (it's stationed in my family company's building, I never really bothered with the parametres as long as it gave effects :P). I didn't see this discussion before, I was being busy with putting a photo-review on my site, not to mention two more on collectiondx and putting together one Microman for my YT :)

But to explain myself without the tiny little details, Flash is baad because it's a single blast of intense white light which has the most power in the center of your picture (where there's more light than needed so you get white reflections on the toy) and it slowly fades away as it goes further, so sides of your photo might be underlighted. And, it often disturbs color balance. That's why well distributed and constantly present lights gives better effects.

It's a rather failed experiment, but I tried to use some black shiny paper from Ikea to attempt making dark backgrounds myself. Never use that thin kind of rolled paper they offer, it won't just get flat and smooth as you wish, no matter how much you iron it

DJ Soundwave

May 15, 2011, 12:09:43 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
how do these look ?

shmax

May 15, 2011, 12:49:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Pictures, yay! #2 is getting there, but can you get the entire toy in the frame? Also, does your camera have a "close-up" or "macro" shooting mode? It might help you get sharper detail around the facial area. And finally, you'll probably want to try using a light tent, or dampeners for your lights to avoid specular glare. Why don't you tell us a little about your setup?

Thanks so much!

Go Up