What's the best toy in your collection?

Started by tusko, September 26, 2022, 01:15:51 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

tusko

What toy makes you super happy in your collection?
Either its a good transformer/toy or maybe it has sentimental value.  What's your story and how does that experience keep you collecting?

For me: Its G1 Jetfire.  Its a beast of a toy, fun to transform and a gift from my parents way back when.  
More recently I picked up Velocitron Clampdown - a recolor of Sideswipe... but just so much fun. 

shmax

For me, it might be this: https://k.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=508172
It's a yellow sports car that transforms into... *drum roll* a red sports car. When I first saw this in a toy shop in San Francisco as a dumb, broke kid I was gobsmacked by the awesome, but funds were a problem.
Now, as a dumb adult with extra cash, I was lucky enough to spot one of these in a vintage shop (cost me $450) when I was in Tokyo a few years ago. I haven't even opened the box yet to have a peek at it (I'm waiting until I can get a nice display cabinet) just having it is enough.

engledogg

G1 Optimus Prime.  Believe it or not, my Autobots went leaderless for two years before I got Optimus Prime at a yard sale in 1986.  I had wanted Optimus since the beginning, but for whatever reason, I was just never able to get one - early on, he was too expensive, or later, he just wasn't available in stores anymore.

I remember pulling up to the sale and everything was set up in the front yard.  I did a quick scan and saw a bunch of stuff all laid out on blankets- no toys at all.  I remember thinking, "well, this sale is a complete bust."  

Then I spotted him, sitting on the far-right end of a picnic table bench, still in his mint-in-sealed-box glory.  

We were still pulling in, but that didn't matter, so, naturally, I flung the door open and jumped out of a still-(albeit very slowly) moving car.  I ran up to him, immediately grabbed him, and then noticed the price.  

$10.

Now, $10 doesn't really mean too much these days, but, growing up, our family wasn't financially well-off by any stretch of the imagination, and in 1986, when our entire garage sale budget for the day was right around $10, it sure meant a lot.  

Don't get me wrong, I had an awesome childhood, but spending $10 bucks on a non-birthday/Christmas purchase was a big deal.

Luckily, it was right after payday, so, after some persuading (aka begging), my mom indulged me and I was allowed to buy him.

The car ride home seemed like it took forever, even though it was really only about ten minutes.  Once we got home, I cut the tape, ripped that sucker out of the package, and then proceeded to cut out the tech spec and the box art as that was the fate that a fairly decent percentage of my early G1 boxes met back at the time.  

Finally, my Autobots had their leader.  It would be years before I would track down his counterpart, finally getting a Megatron some time in the '90s, but I was always an Autobot guy as a kid, so that didn't matter too much.

So, yeah, G1 Optimus Prime...that's the best toy in my collection.  Nothing else comes close.

MIKE
engledogg

Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

tusko

Awesome stories!
The Tiger Mask/ Tiger Hurricane looks cool.  I have never seen that toy before and I like the concept. I love the creativity in toys and materials from the late 70's and early 80's.  Especially from Japan.  

G1 Optimus.... it was never on the shelf when I was a kid.  I think I saw the gold box G1s, but it was inaccessible to me.  Same kinda situation as you describe, it was a lot of money at the time. 
I picked up G1 Op in the Toy R Us reissues and have had epic plays with it with my nephews.  There is so much play value in that toy, just a truck and trailer combo is gold. 

Thanks for your comments!

shmax

Tusko, I'm sure you know this, but that Jetfire toy comes from a mold from a different toyline (Macross), and that mold and its descendents are still going strong in Japan today. Whenever I go in a toy store there I always come across an entire shelf of high-end repaints and modern retools of your pal. You picked a good 'un.
And I never scored a G1 Optimus, either. Never had a pet rock or a Stretch Armostrong, either, but there's still time...

tusko

I agree that the Macross/Jetfire style mold got a lot of things right for its time.  It had a perfect jet mode, a near perfect robot mode and a ton of play value in between.  I think the competing Macross, Transformers Cartoon and UK Marvel Comic all helped to get imaginations moving!
Shmax, I'm totally and unapologetically living a second childhood. Maybe a bit selective, "curated", but happy to have the opportunity to catch up on the dreams of childhood.  Still its the toys from the 80's that my heart turns too.  Modern toys, outside of the transformer's refreshed designs and remakes, don't seem to do it for me.

Go Up