[RESOLVED] Forum Email notifications

Started by triKlops, December 19, 2021, 08:32:36 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

triKlops

December 19, 2021, 08:32:36 AM Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:33:59 PM by shmax
I have not had the email notifications for quite a while.
I have checked my settings and everything seems to be set correctly.
I had something like this happen withTFW, where Microsoft emails were not responding to email alerts from the forum.
I dont know of this is relevant to this issue but it was solved relatively quick by TFW; now my Seibertron alerts on the other hand, never been resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

shmax

Hey TriKlops, sorry for the long delay, but I took a crack at fixing this. 

triKlops

Hey TriKlops, sorry for the long delay, but I took a crack at fixing this.
I appreciate the help. i did get an alert email for this, which is great. The only odd thing in that is that the hotlink was not live but had to be cut and paste in a new tab. Otherwise, i appreciate any hand i can get with this. Thank you.

shmax

Well, that's progress, at any rate. I received an alert email myself, and was able to click the link. Please share your browser version and OS...

shmax

...and email client, please.

triKlops

...and email client, please.
- Safari Version 16.0 (17614.1.25.9.10, 17614)
- Monterey Version 12.6 (21G115)
- Outlook with a Hotmail email

shmax

September 25, 2022, 02:13:52 PM Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:15:54 PM by shmax
Thanks much. I logged in to browserstack, and while they did have a Monterey image, the closest Safari version I could find was 15.3. I don't have Outlook, but the links I see in gmail seem to be working as expected.

Can you forward one of your emails to me, and maybe a screenshot of what it looks like in your viewer?

triKlops

Can you forward one of your emails to me, and maybe a screenshot of what it looks like in your viewer?
Thank you and no problem. Email has been forwarded with screenshot attached. Let me know if anything else is needed.

shmax

Hmm, I don't think I received anything... did you send it to my personal email address (the one at the bottom of the home page)?

triKlops

September 25, 2022, 08:41:00 PM Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 09:13:05 PM by shmax
[redacted] ? Yes, i did. Just double checked it.

shmax

I was able to view your forwarded email in gmail with no problems, links and all.  Thanks for passing that along. From what I've been reading there are various known bugs in Outlook concerning links inside tables (which is what I use), but looking at your screenshot it almost looks to me like the email is not correctly rendering as html. This is something that is supposed to be cued by information in the headers, which I see being written (confirmed in the debugger), but I'm not sure about the character encoding.

I think what I'll do next is try swapping out my email class for another popular one that is a bit more battled-hardened, and we'll see if we have more luck.

triKlops

Thanks for all of the help. Hell, i am just excited to be getting emails. It makes things so much easier. Working hotlinks would be great but we will cross that bridge when we can. Thanks again!

shmax

I installed a really popular and well-vetted emailing package and set up a "send-mail-to-triklops" button in our admin tools to test it out. The first one I sent had a bug (missing anchor text), but the next appears just fine for me in gmail. Let me know how it looks in Outlook; if this fails, then I'm sort of out of ideas...

triKlops

Just saw both emails. Second one came through fine with site hotlink. I think this got it but the topic reply email for this thread was same as before.I will see what happens once i get a couple more. Thanks for all the help though!

shmax

Ah, well for the moment I'm only using the new mailer in my admin tools. So, since it seems to be working better I'll go ahead and integrate it into the rest of the site. Thanks for reporting back.

Go Up