Can we add LEGO as a Toyline?

Started by Scar04c, July 10, 2020, 08:43:27 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Scar04c

Lots of themes to add as separate toylines, but I'm happy to start curating the full LEGO toyline as much as I can.  I think this would be a big addition to the site since this is a major collectible that we don't currently have in the system.  Obviously it's a big undertaking but I'd love to get started and I'm sure others would work on it as well.

To get started I guess we can add what we have currently available.  So this would be (pulled from LEGO.COM)...
Lego [new toyline]
  • Architecture
  • Batman
  • Boost
  • BrickHeadz
  • City
  • Classic
  • Creator
  • Creator Expert
  • DC
  • Disney
  • DOTS
  • DUPLO
  • Friends
  • Frozen 2
  • Harry Potter
  • Hidden Side
  • Ideas
  • Jurassic World
  • LEGO ART
  • LEGO Education
  • LEGO Originals
  • LEGO Super Mario
  • Marvel
  • MINDSTORMS
  • Minecraft
  • Minifigures
  • Minions
  • Monkie Kid
  • NINJAGO
  • Overwatch
  • Power Functions
  • Powered UP
  • Speed Champions
  • Spider-Man
  • Star Wars
  • Stranger Things
  • Technic
  • THE LEGO MOVIE 2
  • Trolls World Tour
  • Toy Story 4
  • Xtra

engledogg

July 11, 2020, 08:33:10 PM Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:02:30 PM by engledogg
I'm not opposed to adding LEGO stuff to the site, but I will say upfront that I have no knowledge of anything Lego, so I wouldn't be much help beyond maybe helping to set up or organize the framework that this behemoth will be built upon.

I also realize that there are decades-worth of Lego sets that have been released, so even though we'd be starting small with the stuff listed above, this will be a sizable undertaking and there will (eventually) be a lot of moving subcategories around.  For example, we wouldn't have Toy Story 4 as an upper level subcategory, as Lego products were released for the other films in the series, so it would all have to fall under the Toy Story banner, like:

Toy Story > Toy Story
                > Toy Story 2
                > Toy Story 3
                > Toy Story 4

I would also caution that empty products are frowned upon (even though we have our fair share of them on the site), so anyone taking on this challenge would also be responsible to help fill in those products so that we don't have a ton of empty products sitting around. 

Keep in mind that there are hundreds (thousands?  millions? [lol]) of parts in some of these sets, so assigning mold data, forms, etc. to each of these parts will be quite a task.

For this reason, I would suggest adding one subcategory at a time, and making sure that it's complete before we start up the next one.

With all that said, if you're up for it, just let one of the mods know and we'll try to set up some stuff for you to work with.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Scar04c

That's a good point - I honestly didn't even think about the mold data/forms for each set.  That's significantly more daunting than I originally even thought of, honestly.
Would we want to have each piece marked individually on the listing?  So a listing would be for the name of the set, and then in each one we'd mark all of the pieces and their quantities along with the mold data/name (which luckily LEGO provides specific item numbers for literally everything).
I'm still down for it but I appreciate the advice and definitely would want to start smaller.  Would this be built in the site the normal way we add things to the database, or outside and then imported?

engledogg

That's a good point - I honestly didn't even think about the mold data/forms for each set.  That's significantly more daunting than I originally even thought of, honestly.
Would we want to have each piece marked individually on the listing?  So a listing would be for the name of the set, and then in each one we'd mark all of the pieces and their quantities along with the mold data/name (which luckily LEGO provides specific item numbers for literally everything).
I'm still down for it but I appreciate the advice and definitely would want to start smaller.  Would this be built in the site the normal way we add things to the database, or outside and then imported?
We'd have to create a product record for each LEGO set and then create a part record for each individual piece in the set, choosing the correct form for each, creating new forms if we have to, and then assigning mold information to each, similar to what we see with Kre-O Optimus Prime.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Go Up