Undo feature or "recently removed from your collection" section

Started by shesmovedon, September 29, 2018, 03:39:02 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shesmovedon

I meant to click an item in my collection to update it but managed to click two pixels to the right too far and I removed it instead :/
Feature request: Undo or a "recently deleted from your collection" section?
Thanks for keeping this awesome for our collections :D

shmax

October 03, 2018, 11:59:37 AM Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:07:25 PM by shmax
Hmm. The reason I don't currently have an "Are you sure?" dialog is because it seemed to me like the kind of thing that would only be valuable the first time you try clicking "remove" to see what happens, and every time after that it would be an annoyance. I could maybe try it with one of those "Don't show this again" checkboxes, but it sounds like this is more about a mis-click  and less about experimenting with the UI and being surprised by the result. Another idea would be to add a "Confirm Removal?" option to the /preferences page, set it to false by default, and then you could switch it on if that's what you like. Thoughts?

engledogg

October 03, 2018, 12:18:55 PM Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:21:22 PM by engledogg
I wouldn't mind the extra click if I got a "Are you sure?" message.  The "Don't show this again" checkbox would be a good idea as well.  All of those ideas sound pretty good.

I'd imagine it might be pretty easy to accidentally delete something while viewing your collection page on mobile as the "delete" link exists in an area where you might be swiping/scrolling with your finger to move up and down the page.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Hmm. Okay. Maybe what I'll do is investigate some alternate UI patterns for mobile that make fat-fingering the "Remove" link a little less likely.

shmax

Here's an idea: how about if I hide the "Remove" link inside the expanded item? You know, so you have to open it up by clicking on it before you can even see the "Remove" link... would that make everybody happy?

engledogg

Here's an idea: how about if I hide the "Remove" link inside the expanded item? You know, so you have to open it up by clicking on it before you can even see the "Remove" link... would that make everybody happy?
I think that's the way it is now.  You tap the item once and "edit", "details" and "delete" links show up.  But if you tap the item again, those links stay active.  And then if you scroll/swipe while those links are displayed, I can see how it would be possible to accidentally tap "delete".

What might be good is if you tap the item again, it "closes" the item (removes the links), which would prevent an accidental delete during a swipe. As it is now, you have to click somewhere else to close the expanded item.

MIKE
engledogg

shesmovedon

I like this idea or the choice to change confirmation behavior. The drop down is preferred but that dramatically changes the way one interacts with the site. I was clicking the bar to drop down the menu to add an accessory that I acquired and was apparently too sloppy.
Btw, I attached a picture of what I see if I have a toy in my collection when viewing the toy's page. Also, using Chrome 69 on macOS, the clickable part around remove is pretty large. I couldn't get a screenshot with the cursor so I added the red line to show how far out "remove" can be selected. I attached a gif, that hopefully isn't too large, showing the mouse over action.

engledogg

Ahhh, you were talking about the blue bar collection UI.  Gotcha - I thought you meant your collection tab. 

I can definitely see what you mean about the "Remove" link.

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

October 05, 2018, 10:29:11 AM Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:07:06 PM by shmax
how far out "remove" can be selected
Oh, well that's an even easier fix. Why don't I start with reducing the clickable area down to the "remove" text itself for now, and we can revisit in the future.

What might be good is if you tap the item again, it "closes" the item (removes the links)
Hmm, that's interesting, too. I'll see what I can do...

shesmovedon

Oh, well that's an even easier fix. Why don't I start with reducing the clickable area down to the "remove" text itself for now, and we can revisit in the future.
Thank you ❤️

Go Up