[RESOLVED]Various Profile problems/bugs??

Started by tjparkside, July 24, 2017, 01:47:08 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

tjparkside

July 24, 2017, 01:47:08 AM Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:17:04 PM by shmax
Hello,
I seem to be experiencing some problems/bugs with my profile on shmax as follows;

- Not receiving email notifications for when i have a product submission approved,news or new private message.I am sure my account is set to send me these notifications?

-"session verification error" message when i try to log out.I am using Chrome browser which is up to date.This has happened for at least a year.

-Collection totals not matching when viewed in different sections eg;
  Total collection 1918 on profile and 2105 in statistics (sealed 448/opened 990/loose 667)

Transformers collection count 1098 on profile and 1188 in statistics (sealed 75/opened 792/loose 321)

Star Wars 709 on profile and 722 in statistics (sealed 349/opened 111/loose 262) and 552 in Star Wars Top Collectors.

- Almost all items in my collection details are valued less than the price paid at either retail or secondary market.It appears the total value of my collection hasn't changed in 2 years

-Identical figures (doubles) in my collection are in same condition and have different values eg. Opened X9 Jaguar #1 is worth $125.28 and #2 is worth $97.49

I am sure that there are simple explanations for some of this,i have been meaning to ask for quite some time now.
Any help would be great!
Thank you,Tjparkside.

shmax

Hey tjparkside, thanks for bringing all this to our attention. I can give you a little early information about some of the issues you've reported:

1. The emails do seem to be broken. This is because we just recently moved to a new server, and this is something that always breaks. I simply didn't remember to check on it until you brought it up; will fix as soon as possible.

2. The session thing has been annoying me, too. I think I've been in denial about it. I'll take a crack at fixing it (again), but if I can't figure it out I may just tear the whole system out and replace it with something else. That's a huge project, though, so you may not see it for quite some time.

Everything else will require some debugging. Engledogg and I will file issues for them, and I'll start working my way through them.

shmax

We're still working on the email thing.

As for the log out issue, can you confirm if it is still happening? I did fix one little thing, but I've otherwise been unable to reproduce the issue. If it is still happening, please tell me the exact circumstances (eg. the exact url of the page you're on when it happens, how long you've been logged in, etc).

Meanwhile, I did get a chance to look into the matter of doubles having different values. The case of Jaguar is easily explained; we don't have enough data points for him to gauge his value, so we fall back to the data you entered. In other words, each instance is worth exactly what you paid for it.

The mismatched count numbers are troubling. I managed to get myself pretty confused, but I think the issue might have something to do with bad toyline tree data. For example, there's a tree node called "Cyberverse" floating as a direct child of "Transformers", but isn't that supposed to be nestled under "Dark of the Moon"? It's been a long time since we had any weird kinks in the tree data--and I go to great lengths to prevent them--but they have happened before. If that IS what's going on then it would certainly explain the weird tallying we see happening. If we can fix the tree data, the numbers should likewise straighten out. So let's start with determining if we have a structural problem, and go from there. Engledogg?

tjparkside

Hello,
 Thank you for looking into some of the problems i have been experiencing and helping provide some explanations,i appreciate it!

Good luck with sorting the emails,i have gotten used to being on the site regularly enough to get by without them if they are broken!

The logout/session verification issue i will keep an eye on and if it continues will try gather the info you need (url/circumstances..etc) Having said that, in the past it was happening every time,but lately (last 3-4 weeks?) more closer to half the time,if that!?! I usually just refresh the page or click on the logout (orange/white button) that appears to log out of the site.Most times the error occurs i logout from on my profile page with the drop down top right menu (if that is any help?)

I understand what you mean about the doubles with different values.

With the values of my collection the main thing was that last time i checked the values (which could be up to a year ago??) my collection contained items worth a mix of the same or less or much more than the price i paid but now seems to all be below price paid value.
Does the currency my collection data is listed in affect comparison to other collector's items data? (eg;main used is on site is US$ i use AUS$)

I agree for the mismatched numbers,would doubles of items have any affect on what is in one count but not another? Also could the factions items are also broken down into cause this?

The Tree node you mention (Cyberverse) should fall under Dark Of The Moon,but may fall under Transformers - Directly because the line also ran during Transformers Prime,Transformers Beast Hunters,Transformers Predacons Rising and had Universal Studios exclusives.Is that why it is it's own tree node?

shmax

With the values of my collection the main thing was that last time i checked the values (which could be up to a year ago??) my collection contained items worth a mix of the same or less or much more than the price i paid but now seems to all be below price paid value.
If you want me to investigate this kind of thing, the best way to go about it is to give me a specific item or items in your collection for me to look at. Use links wherever possible to remove the possibility of me looking at the wrong item.

Does the currency my collection data is listed in affect comparison to other collector's items data? (eg;main used is on site is US$ i use AUS$)
Shouldn't matter too much, as I do currency conversion, but you never know. Again, point me at a specific data point that is troubling you and I'll take a look.

engledogg

July 25, 2017, 02:10:28 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:22:36 PM by engledogg
The mismatched count numbers are troubling. I managed to get myself pretty confused, but I think the issue might have something to do with bad toyline tree data. For example, there's a tree node called "Cyberverse" floating as a direct child of "Transformers", but isn't that supposed to be nestled under "Dark of the Moon"?
Like tjparkside said, "Cyberverse" was a subline that spanned several other Transformers lines - Dark of the Moon, Prime, Beast Hunters, etc. so that's why it's listed at that level.  It is considered to be its own line, due to the way it was numbered (Series 1 was DotM, Series 2 was Prime, and so on), while also existing under those other categories so Cyberverse toys would be listed in "two" lines.

https://www.shmax.com/product_details/8350/optimus_prime

Transformers > Dark of the Moon > Cyberverse > Commander Class
Transformers > Cyberverse > Commander Class > Series 1

So, no structural problems.

Regarding the "log out" issue, shmax... just prior to coming here and posting this reply, I was working on my profile, approving things in the queue, all things that require me to be logged in.  As soon as I visited the forums, despite me being logged in on the site, I saw "log in" at the top of the screen when visiting the forums.  I'm not sure if this is related to tjparkside's issue, but I figured I should mention it here.

MIKE
engledogg

Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

engledogg

July 25, 2017, 02:28:29 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:40:35 PM by engledogg
Okay, regarding the undervalued items in tjparkside's collection, in part, I think he means this kind of thing:

Focusing on Man-E-Faces, for example, he paid $4.99 on Dec. 31, 1982.  However, here's the pricing info from the record itself:

There's his node, Dec. 31, 1982, but the value is only $3.96.

Now, there's either a bug or that's the value converted to USD.

https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+4.99+AUD+to+USD&oq=convert+4.99+AUD+to+USD&aqs=chrome..69i57.9344j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

4.99 Australian Dollar equals 3.96 US Dollar

Am I in the ballpark here, tjparkside?

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Cyberverse toys would be listed in "two" lines.

https://www.shmax.com/product_details/8350/optimus_prime

Transformers > Dark of the Moon > Cyberverse > Commander Class
Transformers > Cyberverse > Commander Class > Series 1

So, no structural problems.

Ahhh, he's in both cats... that's got to have something to do with it. Will take another crack at this tonight. Thanks, Ed.

tjparkside

For the Log out issue,on a PC i haven't experienced what engledogg is having happen - log out while going from profile to forum etc.. but may have had that happen once or twice,months ago (May or earlier) on an iPad2 with chrome browser.
My issue has only been when i log out,mainly from my profile but also from the browse items page.It has not happened in the last few days at all so far.

For the undervalued items in my collection,the example engledogg gives is exactly what i mean (MOTU Man-E-Faces example and now the other MOTU examples) ,which does look to be AUD to USD value converted which did not previously exist (eg.when i looked a year ago) did it previously just read the amount entered but now factors in currency/currency conversion to USD? Almost every item in my collection is similar in Price paid is greater than current value
.An example i can remember is my G1 pre-rubsign Prowl mib which cost $103.50,last i checked he was worth roughly $120 and now valued at $82.06

https://www.shmax.com/tjparkside/collection?c_filters_keywords=generation%201%20assortment%201%20prowl

shmax

I've checked in a fix for the collection count / "Condition Counts" stuff. Please verify it looks the way you expect, Tjparkside.

shmax

On to the AUD /USD thing (thanks for clarifying it, Ed). What would you like me to do? Should I:

* show the current value in the same currency as you paid for it
* add a "Preferred currency" to the preferences, and use it wherever possible in the UI?
* nothing

tjparkside

I've checked in a fix for the collection count / "Condition Counts" stuff. Please verify it looks the way you expect, Tjparkside.
Yes,that is much better thank you.The counts in the various sections i have mentioned all match up now!

tjparkside

On to the AUD /USD thing (thanks for clarifying it, Ed). What would you like me to do? Should I:

* show the current value in the same currency as you paid for it
* add a "Preferred currency" to the preferences, and use it wherever possible in the UI?
* nothing
not sure what to do here as changing it may fix some problems and create others.I just enter it in AUD as it is easier than doing a currency conversion to USD for each item,but if USD is the standard for the site maybe i should enter all ammounts in USD?

shmax

not sure what to do here as changing it may fix some problems and create others.I just enter it in AUD as it is easier than doing a currency conversion to USD for each item,but if USD is the standard for the site maybe i should enter all ammounts in USD?
I wouldn't go so far as to say USD is the standard for the site--I've done an enormous amount of work to support all the world's currencies, so it's really just a matter of deciding what the best user experience is. Mull it over a bit. In the meantime, Engledogg or some of the other folks might have some ideas.

tjparkside

I wouldn't go so far as to say USD is the standard for the site--I've done an enormous amount of work to support all the world's currencies, so it's really just a matter of deciding what the best user experience is. Mull it over a bit. In the meantime, Engledogg or some of the other folks might have some ideas.
I was assuming the USD was the standard which is not the case! I imagine that adding all the currencies was a lot of work and thank you for your time and effort spent on it!
I can leave it as is and am also interested in other folks ideas!

Go Up