Machine Robo series (original) missing from DB

Started by shesmovedon, June 09, 2016, 01:19:06 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shesmovedon

Also, I figured out, when I'm editing the photos, I can grow the Canvas and include a (255,255,255) white background so I know when the background of the photo is white. I'll plug through a few more submissions and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Spiff-O-Matic

I have a couple actions I've saved in Photoshop over the years that I use on pretty much every photo I submit to Shmax. Basically, there is one to add a 50px white border to my photo (so I know where the shadows are still lurking near the edges) and one that cranks up the contrast to max so I can see where what I think is white in not actually white (helpful to find that gunk Engledogg mentioned). I also make use of the quick mask + gradient fill to help me eliminate the darker lower half that my photos almost always have because of my lighting setup. I mainly use levels + eraser with a soft edge to clean up the gunk.

I can try to do a more detailed write-up if anyone is interested, I just don't have time right now to do it :)

shesmovedon

Thank you for the tips! I'll give that a shot.

I always a enjoy a good tutorial, as time allows :D

shmax

You've probably seen this already, but there are also some good tips here:
http://www.shmax.com/photo_guidelines

and here:
http://www.shmax.com/forum/index.php?topic=532.0

And finally, I'll mention that I provide an equipment voucher to fund anyone serious about contributing photos on a regular basis. Send me a private message if you're interested.

shesmovedon

I found it easier to dial in my settings on something that isn't crazy colorful. I did a proof of concept on G1 Thunderwing's small laser. Let me know what ya'll think of it (it seems grainy).
http://www.shmax.com/part_details/4408/small_laser

I'm very motivated to fill in all the gaps on Shmax with anything I can. I think I have my lighting set up well, now I just need to work on the camera settings. I work at a college and have access to all sorts of equipment for free. The camera I'm using isn't a DSLR which I think is my problem. Once I get my hands on one of those, I should be able to more accurately follow the camera settings guide. Basically, I'm trying to get myself into a position where I don't have to do a _ton_ of post processing, otherwise I'll just drive myself batty.

shmax

Looking good! It does seem a touch noisy--you might try lowering your ISO setting. Regarding the camera: I did eventually get a DLSR, but you can still have a grand old time without one. All of the settings discussed on the guidelines page can be found on any low to medium range digital camera.

Try a figure next!

shesmovedon

MR-11

8)

I'm going to be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks but I'll pick up my efforts in ernest after that.

shmax

Nice shot! Only two pieces of feedback:

1. subject not smiling.
2. Maybe a bit too much level tweaking in post, or possibly too much exposure? I say this because the shadow has virtually disappeared; we consider a soft, but distinct shadow to be desirable.

That said, I'm sure none of the mods would hesitate to accept the photo. Do some more!

Go Up