Add Brontosaurus to Dinosaurs list?

Started by Spiff-O-Matic, May 27, 2016, 07:01:19 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Spiff-O-Matic

While adding FT-07 Stomp, I noticed the good ol' bronto was missing from the list, and I recall the experts agreeing that it was a separate species again. Should we re-add it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontosaurus

Almost all 20th-century paleontologists agreed with Riggs that all Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus species should be classified together in a single genus. According to the rules of the ICZN (which governs the scientific names of animals), the name Apatosaurus, having been published first, had priority as the official name; Brontosaurus was considered a junior synonym and was therefore discarded from formal use.[33][34][35][36] Despite this, at least one paleontologist--Robert T. Bakker--argued in the 1990s that A. ajax and A. excelsus are in fact sufficiently distinct that the latter continues to merit a separate genus.[37] In 2015, an extensive study of diplodocid relationships by Emanuel Tschopp, Octavio Mateus, and Roger Benson concluded that Brontosaurus was indeed a valid genus of sauropod distinct from Apatosaurus. The scientists developed a statistical method to more objectively assess differences between fossil genera and species, and concluded that Brontosaurus could be "resurrected" as a valid name. They assigned two former Apatosaurus species, A. parvus and A. yahnahpin, to Brontosaurus, as well as the type species B. excelsus.[3] Paleontologist Michael D'Emic made a critique.[6] Palaeontologist Donald Prothero criticized the mass media reaction to this study as superficial and premature, concluding:

Until someone has convincingly addressed the issue, I'm going to put "Brontosaurus" in quotes and not follow the latest media fad, nor will I overrule Riggs (1903) and put the name in my books as a valid genus.

KidTDragon

Who are we to argue with science? Brontosaurus added!
<br />

Spiff-O-Matic

Thanks Kid! Now the issue is, how do we edit all those other Dinobot Sludge listings to be Bronto instead of Apatosaurus?

shmax

And more importantly, when do we add Fred Flintstone?

KidTDragon

Thanks Kid! Now the issue is, how do we edit all those other Dinobot Sludge listings to be Bronto instead of Apatosaurus?
The old-fashioned way: we tie them to a pteranodon and-.... I mean we change them by hand.
<br />

Go Up