Update 05/24/2016

Started by shmax, May 24, 2016, 09:33:17 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

Site upgrade day!

I've moved the site to a new server (still just one--will think about scaling up if we ever get more than two people on the site in the same day), and with it comes a bunch of fancy performance upgrades:

* PHP 7. It supposedly executes code at up to double the speed of PHP 5.4, which is what we had previously. Does it? I dunno, you tell me.
* PHP-FPM. This is a new FastCGI implementation. I'm not particularly clear on what that is, but just because I don't know what it is doesn't mean it isn't fast.
* Enabled client-side caching of the big background image, and all the other little icons and doodads that litter the site.
* I'm now "spriting" all those same little icons and doodads. I've reduced the number of HTTP request on the main browse page from 35 down to 12.
* Optimized that navigation tree over on the left side of the browse page. Turns out it was spawning thousands and thousands of DOM nodes, and it was pretty much the sole cause of the sluggish feel to the page load. Now it only builds the DOM nodes for the visible menu elements.

So most pages should feel much zippier. The products browse page in particular now loads and is fully usable in less than a second on my machine (the old one takes around 5). Start thinking about what you're going to do with all the time you're getting back; I've heard that sports are fun.

Go Up