GIJoe Stuff

Started by tusko, January 25, 2015, 03:50:27 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

tusko

Is SHMAX expanding to GI JOEs?
I see the entry there.
I don't have very much, but I took a couple of pics.... any use?

shmax

Is SHMAX expanding to GI JOEs?
I see the entry there.
I don't have very much, but I took a couple of pics.... any use?

Yo for Joe! But your photos seem to have the same problems they've always had; they're a bit too small, the white balance needs help, it looks like you've been mucking with the shadows in Photoshop, etc. Why don't you tell us a little about your setup? We'd be glad to help you troubleshoot.

tusko

Hmm I thought my photos were getting better.  :(

The white balance is a bit wonky, I dunno it just doesn't come through right. 
Otherwise its bristol board, overhead halogen lamp, two 65W incandescent bulbs on each side and not a lot of diffuse light.

I dunno if a light tent would make that much of a difference or not.

shmax

January 28, 2015, 07:34:53 PM Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:50:16 PM by shmax

Hmm I thought my photos were getting better.  :(

The white balance is a bit wonky, I dunno it just doesn't come through right. 
Otherwise its bristol board, overhead halogen lamp, two 65W incandescent bulbs on each side and not a lot of diffuse light.

I dunno if a light tent would make that much of a difference or not.

Spliffdizzle is really the star shutterbug around here these days, but here are some things to try:

• Make sure your camera's "macro mode" is on, if it has one (look for a little flower icon)

• Use a higher megapixel camera (and please, not your phone's camera)

• Make sure your white balance is on and set correctly

• Try using only one kind of bulb. Your halogen bulb IS an incandescent bulb, but it probably has a higher temperature than the others, which might be causing difficulty for the white balance.

• Try putting all your bulbs on top. I remember that Highprime used to swear by this technique; it might help you with your shadows-shooting-in-all-directions problem

• Use a lightbox or tent. You can build one in 10 minutes (don't forget the rear seam). Alternatively, your Uncle Shmax would be happy to buy you a studio-grade light tent if you promise to submit lots and lots of photos.

• Resist the urge to paw at your images in Photoshop. If you're doing more than cropping and adjusting levels or spending more than 30 seconds with it, then you need to stop and work on the previous steps more.

Go Up