[RESOLVED]I can't view my collection

Started by tusko, December 17, 2014, 08:45:08 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

tusko

December 17, 2014, 08:45:08 AM Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:46:22 PM by shmax
Hi SHMAX!

When I view profile, nothing loads and I can't see my collection or stats.
It is just me?

Thanks!

http://www.shmax.com/tusko

shmax

Loads fine for me. Which browser are you using?

engledogg

I'm getting the "Sorry, but tusko would rather not share this collection with the rest of us. And don't even try borrowing money." message.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

tusko

I'm using the Internet Explorer right now.
I'll check from Chrome again tonight.
I just get:
Hello Tusko
Last login message and blank space.

Tripredacus

I'm using the Internet Explorer right now.
I'll check from Chrome again tonight.
I just get:
Hello Tusko
Last login message and blank space.

I get what you see initially, but there is a delay (1-2 sec) before the rest of the page loads. You might be triggering a time-out. I tested in Palemoon and managed to get a screenshot. The page "technically" finishes loading, as in there is no loading animation on the tab any longer, but shortly afterwards is when the profile actually shows up.

tusko

YUP!
This works in Chrome.

But on Internet Exploiter it just never loaded.  I waited over 15 minutes (left it in the background) and there was never that pop that brought the collection forward.

Interesting.

shmax

YUP!
This works in Chrome.

But on Internet Exploiter it just never loaded.  I waited over 15 minutes (left it in the background) and there was never that pop that brought the collection forward.

Interesting.

Which version of IE?

shmax

Bump. Tusko, I need to know exactly which version of IE you're using before I can troubleshoot this bug. Let me know!

shmax

Bump again for Tusko. Come in, Tusko...

tusko

Windows Internet Explorer 9
Version: 9.0.8112.16421
Update Version: 9.0.30

The collection still does not show up on this platform.
On Chrome its no problem, a short delay and the collection display's itself.

shmax

Windows Internet Explorer 9
Version: 9.0.8112.16421
Update Version: 9.0.30

The collection still does not show up on this platform.
On Chrome its no problem, a short delay and the collection display's itself.

Got it! So here's the deal: the page simply does not and will not work in IE9. It depends on an html5 mechanism called "pushState", which doesn't appear in IE until 10. There are ways to work around this problem, of course. I could revert back to using hashes (www.shmax.com/shmax#collection), or I could do full page loads when links are clicked, but given that 1) I'm the only developer around here 2) IE seems to be the only class of modern browser with the issue 3) it's a hell of a lot of work and 4) I'm gearing up to work on shmax 2.0 and won't be doing much with shmax 1.0 going forward, I believe I'm going to opt not to fix it.

Is using a different browser not an option for you?

tusko

Oh yeah, I can use Chrome on another computer.
Its not a problem for me.  I just don't want the greater SHMAXIAN public to be frustrated.

Thank you for determining and isolating the problem!  Very cool sleuthing!

shmax

Oh yeah, I can use Chrome on another computer.
Its not a problem for me.  I just don't want the greater SHMAXIAN public to be frustrated.

Thank you for determining and isolating the problem!  Very cool sleuthing!

Well, I'll tell ya what: if two other shmax'ers make the same complaint I'll work on it. I looked up browser share numbers from a few sources and it looks like IE 9 and below only makes up around 6% of browsers. Given that shmax.com only has around 5 serious users, I think we're safe.

Go Up