Search sort by In Collection?

Started by Tripredacus, December 12, 2014, 04:29:12 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tripredacus

When I do a search for an item, it would be neato to have a "Sort by" option in the drop-down to either only show items already added to the collection, or show items in collection first. Would need to be for logged-in users only. Example URL:
http://www.shmax.com/products?q_filters_keywords=1985%20gears&q_pagination_offset=0

shmax

December 12, 2014, 07:35:39 PM Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:37:50 PM by shmax

When I do a search for an item, it would be neato to have a "Sort by" option in the drop-down to either only show items already added to the collection, or show items in collection first. Would need to be for logged-in users only. Example URL:
http://www.shmax.com/products?q_filters_keywords=1985%20gears&q_pagination_offset=0

A sort? I don't know, we'll have to think about that one. I can see how it might seem like an attractive idea when you want the one or two items you own to bubble to the top, but for someone like Engledogg--who owns EVERY item in a category--wouldn't it be the same as doing no sort at all?

Tripredacus

For him, sure. It is an option, he doesn't have to use it.  :P

shmax

December 15, 2014, 09:36:58 AM Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:09:23 PM by shmax

For him, sure. It is an option, he doesn't have to use it.  :P

My point is that properties that are on/off don't really lend themselves well to the spirit of sorting. Furthermore, it would create consistency problems; the browse pages are public and bookmarkable, and a sort option that ties the results to the logged-in user's collection would not only be meaningless to a non logged-in user, but would be different user-to-user (so you couldn't, say, send a link to someone and say, "look at the 3rd result"). We can think about it some more, but I think it might be better to see if we can come up with a different angle on this.

Tripredacus

You know what? It doesn't matter because I don't need this. I was going about things the wrong way... or maybe the old way?

Anyways, I can accomplish what I want with the new Profile page you recently put in, so you can close this request!

Go Up