Searching for part, sorting by photo

Started by Tripredacus, July 10, 2014, 12:25:18 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tripredacus

July 10, 2014, 12:25:18 PM Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:01:52 PM by shmax
When searching for an accessory, say "black pistol" and looking only at the accessory tab, sorting by main photo date is kinda useless. There is no option to say "show me just results that have a picture" if I am trying to compare some unknown accessory to what there might be a picture of. Here is an example link:

http://www.shmax.com/parts?q_filters_keywords=black%20pistol&q_filters_toyline=3533&q_sort_type=primaryPhoto&q_sort_dir=desc&q_pagination_limit=20&q_pagination_offset=0

EDIT ^----- what's up with that, it says invalid toyline ID??? Quote to see the URL (OK This might be a bug report now)

Since a main photo may exist and no accessory photos, or an accessory photo could exist where no main photo exists, there is no good sort option. In addition, even choosing to sort by main photo makes items with no photo show up in the list.

Not a bug, maybe a feature request. Definately need an easier way to search for accessories so that we can use Shmax for everything and not have to bother with "other websites"  :-X

shmax

July 11, 2014, 01:12:54 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:15:59 AM by shmax
I just committed a fix for the primary photo sort; nice catch. Is there something else I need to do?

Oh, and the weird link has to do with my custom bbcode parser--it's getting confused by the brackets in your url (I can tell you're using Firefox).  I might be able to fix that at some point, but in the meantime your best bet is probably to use Chrome or a similar browser when you want to copy URLs from the address bar.

Tripredacus

That works better! only 3 pages of black pistol photos...  :'(

Anyways, I also didn't notice the checkboxes to remove what is shown when searching parts. That helps a lot too... But say now I am on the parts tab, only have accessory checked and search for black pistol.... On page 2 a white/silver pistol shows up. What is the reason for that?
http://www.shmax.com/part_details/20474

Its not a big deal, but it obviously stood out as NOT being a black pistol while everything else was (I'll suspend disbelief and accept that a car's spoiler may be considered a gun in the Transformers universe)  ;D

shmax

That works better! only 3 pages of black pistol photos...  :'(

Anyways, I also didn't notice the checkboxes to remove what is shown when searching parts. That helps a lot too... But say now I am on the parts tab, only have accessory checked and search for black pistol.... On page 2 a white/silver pistol shows up. What is the reason for that?
http://www.shmax.com/part_details/20474

Its not a big deal, but it obviously stood out as NOT being a black pistol while everything else was (I'll suspend disbelief and accept that a car's spoiler may be considered a gun in the Transformers universe)  ;D

That's because the part is reaching up to its host product for terms, and is finding the terms "black" and "pistol". I need to improve how that works, but in the meantime why not try the advanced search page? You can not only use form picker to ensure you get back gun and the color picker to ensure you're locked to colors (and not just words in the search index), but you can check the "has exactly these colors" checkbox to make sure you get back only black pistols (and not, say black and grey pistols).

Go Up