Yo Joe!

Started by Pariah, June 03, 2014, 08:39:19 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pariah

Hey all,
Long time lurker, never joined before because I don't collect Transformers. Glad you guys started to add new toylines, though I haven't seen much action with the G.I. Joe line. Any plans to add the toylines for it?

Also, I've studying your molds setup for a while now and I can't wrap my head around how you would categorize Joes. Joe toys tend to reuse body parts for most of their toys: ex. arms and legs of Duke (v30) (2009), the torso and waist of General Clayton "Hawk" Abernathy (v4) (2009), and a new head.

Awesome work guys. Can't wait to see other properties being covered on the site.

shmax

Hey all,
Long time lurker, never joined before because I don't collect Transformers. Glad you guys started to add new toylines, though I haven't seen much action with the G.I. Joe line. Any plans to add the toylines for it?

Also, I've studying your molds setup for a while now and I can't wrap my head around how you would categorize Joes. Joe toys tend to reuse body parts for most of their toys: ex. arms and legs of Duke (v30) (2009), the torso and waist of General Clayton "Hawk" Abernathy (v4) (2009), and a new head.

Awesome work guys. Can't wait to see other properties being covered on the site.

Hmm, that's a good one. My vast experience in running this site for more than 7 years leads me immediately to an answer: I have no idea. I suppose you could just do a "part" record for each limb, and set up the molds appropriately. Ed?

engledogg

That would work if they were model kits, but they're completed figures (no assembly required).

I'm not sure how we'll handle them.  Probably each "combination" will be a unique mold, or something like that.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Pariah

Using it as a unique mold doesn't sound too bad, though I suggest noting the body construction make up in a notes/comments section.

Also, could I trouble you guys to add some Joe toylines. I don't want to add records in the wrong toylines.

engledogg

Yep, G.I. Joe subcategories will be added eventually.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about G.I. Joe and the person (SoS) who will be working on that section is in the process of moving.

I would say hold on for a bit until he gets back before adding any other records.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Pariah

Sounds good. Thanks for the prompt response.

Tripredacus

I know yojoe.com always notes where the torso, head, legs, etc comes from but I wonder if GI Joe collectors really care about that information?

shmax

I know yojoe.com always notes where the torso, head, legs, etc comes from but I wonder if GI Joe collectors really care about that information?

I have plans to do a serious redesign of the mold tracking system. I'll keep the GI Joe figure scenario in mind--maybe I can come up with something.

shmax

I have plans to do a serious redesign of the mold tracking system. I'll keep the GI Joe figure scenario in mind--maybe I can come up with something.

I was just thinking about this a little at the gym and I think the new mold system will indeed solve this neatly. In Mold 2.0, the mold records and figure records will be managed independently. So you could make a mold called "Kirk 1979", and lay out mold "parts" like "left leg", "right leg", "torso", and so on whether you intend to make actual part record instances for each one or not. You would then link the "Kirk" figure to the "Kirk 1979" mold, and call it a day. There will be dedicated pages for looking up molds, so you'll be able to see which limb was used in which figures. Or something like that. We shall see. Not sure about Tribbles.

Pariah

That sounds awesome Shmax! So I can create "Quick Kick" as a main mold record the legs and arms come from Duke's mold, torso from Storm Shadow,  and the only original mold part for Quick Kick is the head. That's surely going to be an interesting thing to look out for. Can't wait.

shmax

That sounds awesome Shmax! So I can create "Quick Kick" as a main mold record the legs and arms come from Duke's mold, torso from Storm Shadow,  and the only original mold part for Quick Kick is the head. That's surely going to be an interesting thing to look out for. Can't wait.

Something like that. The mold overhaul is still a few big projects away, but it'll happen.

SoS

Hey all,

You wouldn't be the same Pariah that posted in DC Comics message boards a while back, would you?

I added a few Joe categories for you. You can add to your heart's content, I'll add more lines as you finish them up. If subcategories need to be added, just bug one of us and we'll make it happen. As for the Joe molds, I say treat every Joe as if it were a new mold, unless it's an obvious repaint or if the majority of the parts are from one mold but with some slight variations then make it a remold. Example:

- Duke (v30) is ≥ 50% of General Hawk (v4)'s mold, then make it a remold of Hawk
- Duke (v30) is a 100% repaint of the General Hawk (v4) mold, then make it a repaint of Hawk
- Duke (v30) is ≤ 50% of General Hawk (v4)'s mold, just make it a new mold

Or to make it easier, just leave the mold info blank and use the comments section to identify the mold breakdown like YoJoe.com does. As Tripredacus just said, not really sure if your average joe (no pun intended...well maybe slightly) or die hard joe collector really cares about the mold breakdowns.

--SoS

Go Up