Colors in alphabetical order?

Started by Spiff-O-Matic, February 24, 2014, 06:41:55 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Spiff-O-Matic

Can the colors listed when editing an item be listed alphabetically? I'm not sure if there's some other reason for them to be ordered as they are...

Tripredacus

Are they ordered by spectrum?

Spiff-O-Matic

Kind of, but once you get past purple it all goes haywire. I feel it's easier for my primitive human brain to find something in a text list when it's sorted alphabetically since I know what letter the color's name starts with, ya know?

shmax

Makes sense. I'll see what I can do.

shmax

February 25, 2014, 08:40:05 AM Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:09:38 AM by shmax
So here's what it looks like if I sort the first column, but continue the practice of aligning the other two columns (attached). Does this look like what you want? I hesitate to commit the change, because if you look closely, you'll notice that the sorting breaks for the other two columns,  as I use slightly different names for a few things depending on the kind of material (yellow=gold, grey=silver, white=clear, etc). What do you think?

Spiff-O-Matic

I don't feel they need to align between columns. I don't equate grey to silver, so I wouldn't expect to find it directly across from it in another list. And also Full Color could be at the bottom, since it's not a proper color itself (maybe with a bit of space separating it from the rest of the list?)

engledogg

Looks good...I do equate grey to silver, but yes, full color should be at the bottom, if you're thinking about going this route.

I preferred the old way, but what do I know?  :)

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Spiff-O-Matic

Well, I have been using it for years the way it is but I always wondered why it was "out of order". Don't change things everyone else likes just because I asked. If no one else wants the change then don't do it on my account.

shmax

Well, Ed sounds like he's willing to give your way a try, so I went ahead and made the changes you asked for. See what you guys think. If you don't like it, I can change it back.

shmax

By the way, can you guys imagine any scenario in which "Full color" would make sense for metallic, or transparent materials?

Spiff-O-Matic

By the way, can you guys imagine any scenario in which "Full color" would make sense for metallic, or transparent materials?

Not off the top of my head. And thanks for doing this, hopefully everyone likes it!

engledogg

February 28, 2014, 06:42:31 AM Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:47:30 AM by engledogg

Nope...maybe there's some obscure toyline playset came with a multi-colored stained-glass window accessory or some toys ended up getting "see-through" trading cards from some line that we don't cover yet, but overall, though?  Nope...get rid of it.  We can always put it back, right?

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Nope...maybe there's some obscure toyline playset came with a multi-colored stained-glass window accessory or some toys ended up getting "see-through" trading cards from some line that we don't cover yet, but overall, though?  Nope...get rid of it.  We can always put it back, right?

MIKE
engledogg

It's already gone. We all set on this issue, for now?

KidTDragon

There are prismatic stickers on some toys that could make the argument for full color metallic, but since they usually look like something that would be marked chrome/silver when light isn't hitting them the right way, it might be better to mark them as chrome/silver (or metallic whatever color they are when direct light isn't on them). Just thinking while I'm typing, here, but would adding "prismatic" as the metallic equivalent of "full color" make sense? Not necessarily to be used as its own color, but in addition to another metallic color? Say, marking something like regular She-Ra's crown as being chrome/silver and prismatic, or Bubble Power She-Ra's crown as metallic pink and prismatic?
<br />

shmax

There are prismatic stickers on some toys that could make the argument for full color metallic, but since they usually look like something that would be marked chrome/silver when light isn't hitting them the right way, it might be better to mark them as chrome/silver (or metallic whatever color they are when direct light isn't on them). Just thinking while I'm typing, here, but would adding "prismatic" as the metallic equivalent of "full color" make sense? Not necessarily to be used as its own color, but in addition to another metallic color? Say, marking something like regular She-Ra's crown as being chrome/silver and prismatic, or Bubble Power She-Ra's crown as metallic pink and prismatic?

Well, easy enough to add something like that. Tell ya what, let me know when it comes up, and we'll give it a shot.

Go Up