Roll of side light diffusers

Started by tusko, July 29, 2013, 10:55:01 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

tusko

July 29, 2013, 10:55:01 AM Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:25:30 PM by tusko
I see many light tents filter/diffuse the light on the sides.
How important is this inclosure?  Do the lights fit through a hole in the sidewall, or do you filter the light through the membrane?

Could I see pictures with and without these side features to understand their effect?

Secondly, does anyone use a polarizing lens?  Would that make a crisper image in a lightbox?

Thank you!

shmax

I see many light tents filter/diffuse the light on the sides.
How important is this inclosure?  Do the lights fit through a hole in the sidewall, or do you filter the light through the membrane?

Could I see pictures with and without these side features to understand their effect?

Secondly, does anyone use a polarizing lens?  Would that make a crisper image in a lightbox?

Thank you!

Various folks here have experimented with tent-less or "naked" photos at one time or another. You can get away with it if you really work at it, but the images tend to suffer from specular glare. Filtering the lights through a cloth or tent helps smooth out those bright specular points and create an even, angelic quality to the lighting. I don't have side-by-side samples handy at the moment, but if you're interested in taking some photos, why not try it yourself?

tusko

July 29, 2013, 01:47:02 PM Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:48:43 PM by tusko
Because I don't have the set up!  Laziness.... non-conformism.. etc.
The reason I ask is because I'm going to rip down my current set up and try to reset the lights and reflections.  I want to focus on what is most important but skip the unnecessary bits and peices if possible.

What about a polarizing lens?  Only getting the really straight on light?  I was thinking this for those pesky shiney plastic bubbles.

shmax

Because I don't have the set up!  Laziness.... non-conformism.. etc.
The reason I ask is because I'm going to rip down my current set up and try to reset the lights and reflections.  I want to focus on what is most important but skip the unnecessary bits and peices if possible.

What about a polarizing lens?  Only getting the really straight on light?  I was thinking this for those pesky shiney plastic bubbles.

If you're lazy, just order one of these and go sit on the couch until it arrives:
http://www.skaeser.com/servlet/the-852/lighting-tent%2Clight-tent-lighting%2Clight/Detail

If you're broke but serious about contributing photos, your uncle Shmax will buy it for you.

tusko

Thank you for the kind offer.  I'll try and make what I have work here, or get that in a little bit.

triKlops

There are also some nice setups on the cheap side on Amazon if you search photography tent; Prime shipping on some as well to help lower cost.
Thinking about scooping up one of these setups myself.

Go Up