Fall of Cybertron items

Started by Tripredacus, July 23, 2013, 03:16:01 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tripredacus

I notice that I can't find Fall of Cybertron items in the database. It is because they are in Generations, but say I search for...

Code Select
Fall Sideswipe

I get no results, but if I search for Generations Sideswipe I can find it.

SoS

When you are doing the search, does it not show up under Products, Parts, or both?

--SoS

engledogg

It's not gonna show up anywhere, as it stands - "fall of cybertron" isn't part of any category name and only one product name (Fall of Cybertron Bruticus).

The solution, I guess, would be to add "fall of cybertron" to the search tags for Generations.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

engledogg

I added "fall of cybertron" and "foc" to the search tags...it doesn't seem to have updated yet as I'm still just getting the Bruticus result.  Give it a while, I guess.

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

I added "fall of cybertron" and "foc" to the search tags...it doesn't seem to have updated yet as I'm still just getting the Bruticus result.  Give it a while, I guess.

MIKE
engledogg

Did you add them to the toyline nodes? I didn't see anything when I checked--maybe it didn't take.

engledogg

July 25, 2013, 07:12:55 AM Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:33:32 AM by engledogg
I put it them in the "Search Tags" column beside Generations in the toyline tree.

Checking now...yeah, they're totally gone.

Trying this again...and yep, it disappears when you revisit the toyline tree page.

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

I put it them in the "Search Tags" column beside Generations in the toyline tree.

Checking now...yeah, they're totally gone.

Trying this again...and yep, it disappears when you revisit the toyline tree page.

MIKE
engledogg

So it turns out that this is something that got switched off when I was disabling all the eBay stuff. I switched this part back on, but I wonder if this is the best way to handle "Fall of Cybertron". I think it'll work, but the thing that bothers me a little is that we're not actually surfacing "Fall of Cybertron" anywhere on any of the pages. Can you think of any better way?

engledogg

July 26, 2013, 06:43:07 AM Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:50:41 AM by engledogg
Here's the thing..."Fall of Cybertron" is not a toyline or a subline - it's a video game.

Some of the figures in the Generations category are taken from the "Fall of Cybertron" video game...some of them, not all of them. 

"Fall of Cybertron" is not found anywhere on the packaging, nor in the names of any of the figures (or products), or anything like that.  They're simply characters from the video game.

I would think that this is the best way to do it without doing something questionable like creating "Fall of Cybertron" subcategories or adding that nonsense to the product names...

That's why Trips wasn't getting any results for a "fall Sideswipe" search.  Technically, there is no such thing as a "Fall of Cybertron" Sideswipe.  There is only a Generations Sideswipe figure that is meant to be the one from the "Fall of Cybertron" video game.

MIKE
engledogg

tusko

By that logic there is no G1 toy either.  Of course there must be an exception to every rule.  :P 

I also had my question about why the Takara Encore falls under the G1 banner but the Hasbro Commemorative releases are under their own subline.

Tripredacus

"Fall of Cybertron" is not found anywhere on the packaging, nor in the names of any of the figures (or products), or anything like that.  They're simply characters from the video game.

That's why Trips wasn't getting any results for a "fall Sideswipe" search.  Technically, there is no such thing as a "Fall of Cybertron" Sideswipe.  There is only a Generations Sideswipe figure that is meant to be the one from the "Fall of Cybertron" video game.

MIKE
engledogg

No that's wrong Sideswipe is in Generations: Fall of Cybertron toyline. You can see it right here:
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/10903/sideswipe

If Fall of Cybertron isn't a subline of Generations, then why do we make the exception that Robots In Disguise is a subline for Prime?
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/10371/decepticon_rumble_w_dvd

engledogg

July 26, 2013, 10:58:12 AM Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:04:06 PM by engledogg

No that's wrong Sideswipe is in Generations: Fall of Cybertron toyline. You can see it right here:
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/10903/sideswipe

If Fall of Cybertron isn't a subline of Generations, then why do we make the exception that Robots In Disguise is a subline for Prime?
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/10371/decepticon_rumble_w_dvd

Ah, so it is...regardless, if we create a FOC subline under the each of the size classes or directly under the Generations category, that means we have to create a counter-balance for everything else that isn't Fall of Cybertron.

We'd have to do something like:

Transformers>Generations>Deluxe Class>Fall of Cybertron>Series 1 and
Transformers>Generations>Deluxe Class>"Whatever we're going to call all non-FOC toys">Series 1

And none of that makes sense since the series distinction will totally mess with things at that level.  Potentially, we could have Series 2, or better yet, Series 3, figures that ARE Fall of Cybertron and we could have ones that aren't.

If we do it the other way, it still doesn't work:

Transformers>Generations>FOC>Deluxe Class>Series 1
Transformers>Generations>"Whatever we're going to call all non-FOC toys">Deluxe Class>Series 1

Again, the series classification screws all of this up.

At this point, the easiest way to do this is to either use keywords or put (Fall of Cybertron), in parentheses, in the product names.

Prime is totally different than this.  The Robots in Disguise subline IS a subline, just like Beast Hunters IS a subline, and both are listed separately.  You aren't going to have Beast Hunters toys mixed in the same assortment or wave or anything.  If it turns out that we don't get any more FOC-labeled products, then, yes, something could likely be worked out. 

As it stands, though...I mean, look at Metroplex - he's not FOC, he's not IDW, what is he and what would he be categorized as if we're assigning these pseudo-sublines to these things?

Generation 1 is an entirely different situation - heck, the line wasn't originally called G1...but that's what it has come to be known as over the years.  The reason why Encore is under G1 and the Commemorative Series is that Encore was originally found under G1 (Japan) because that's how we had to port it over from the change from countries to lines.

Before we had something like Japan>Generation 1>Encore, which had to be come Generations 1>Generation 1 (Japan)>Encore.  I'm sure we'll be working on organizing that a bit better in the near future, but for now, apples and oranges with this FOC business.

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

What if I add a little keyword tagger to the product records, like we have for parts?

tusko

The Generations banner itself is pretty nebulous due to the many catch all releases of toys now.

Why not brake the waves down by release year?
So the non-descript >"Whatever we're going to call all non-FOC toys"> are just "2013"?  That's all Series 1 is really.  Series 2 is 2014 and you are already adding a date descriptor to a lot of titles.

G1 should be "Transformers (1984)".

engledogg

G1 should be "Transformers (1984)".

Haha.  :)

MIKE
engledogg

Tripredacus

I would think that the Generations items that do not have a subline (yes I'm still saying FoC is a subline) are simply just Generations. So an outline could be like this:

Generations
- Fall of Cybertron
- Generations

But of course the first thing people might say is why are Generations a subsection of Generations? Well that already is the case for Masterpiece. Of course I can also see cases where generally, the package naming isn't used to sort items in the database. For example, there is no Power of the Spark section under Beast Machines.

Other sorting confusion is that Beast Wars Returns is in the Beast Wars section and not the Beast Machines section. No Scramble City section under G1 Japan, and the fact there is a TF 2010 section even though that rarely was on any packaging (reissues mostly). And how The Botcon releases for G2 Redux and Machine Wars are only under the Timelines heading, which is understandable.

And funny about the Transformers (1984) thing. That kinda makes sense. The only inherent problem with that tho is Generation 2. In 1995, "G2" items dropped the G2 description on the packages, thus becoming Transformers (1995).

The arrangements here are based on both packaging and fiction elements. I always tried to keep those separate in my lists and always follow the packaging specifically.

Ok rant over. :)

Go Up