Sig wars!

Started by shmax, January 09, 2013, 09:08:03 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

Allllmost done, folks. Sorry for the long delay (I've had a house guest--my friend Rika-chan from Japan, who brought some cap-bots back for me), but I've got the front and back end for this feature humming away. It will still take a few days to clean up bugs and compile the javascript, but then we will all reach Gif Glory. Hang in there...

shmax

Bugs fixed. Javascript compiled. Sleep deprived. Tomorrow is cross-browser testing, and then we should be groovy to go.

Tripredacus

Great, I have an idea for my first one.  ;D

shmax

Awesome. I was thinking of starting a thread or something where we can all share our creations. By the way, the first non-chrome browser I tried this in choked: Firefox, for the fail! It may be a few days, yet...

Wajo357

Awesome. I was thinking of starting a thread or something where we can all share our creations. By the way, the first non-chrome browser I tried this in choked: Firefox, for the fail! It may be a few days, yet...

<--- thinking to himself - thankfully he didn't try Opera first ;)
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

Antron007

Lol! You have had a lot of fun with Opera issues haven't you? I'm sorry but, I just couldn't help but laugh when I read your post Wajo.

Good luck Shmax, I hope things pan out soon. Can I ask if there are any specs available so maybe we can start working on our graphics so we'll be ready to go as soon as you are?

Also I have a question kind of related to the subject. Does Opera for Windows process and render the same as Opera for Mac and Opera for Linux? I'd like to think it'd be the same but I've been computing for far to long to know better than to make assumptions about such matters. Also I am not an Apple guy beyond Beatles records so I really don't know much about them aside from the fact that the OSes seem to be proprietary versions of UN/LINux. That's an assumption based on any of the investigating of OS X. It seemed structured the same as the *ux family. Sorry, got off track but, Does Opera render the same on different OSes?

Wajo357

Lol! You have had a lot of fun with Opera issues haven't you? I'm sorry but, I just couldn't help but laugh when I read your post Wajo.

Good luck Shmax, I hope things pan out soon. Can I ask if there are any specs available so maybe we can start working on our graphics so we'll be ready to go as soon as you are?

Also I have a question kind of related to the subject. Does Opera for Windows process and render the same as Opera for Mac and Opera for Linux? I'd like to think it'd be the same but I've been computing for far to long to know better than to make assumptions about such matters. Also I am not an Apple guy beyond Beatles records so I really don't know much about them aside from the fact that the OSes seem to be proprietary versions of UN/LINux. That's an assumption based on any of the investigating of OS X. It seemed structured the same as the *ux family. Sorry, got off track but, Does Opera render the same on different OSes?

No idea. But if you are really interested, you can post on their forums: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/tgr.dml?id=2
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

shmax

Can I ask if there are any specs available so maybe we can start working on our graphics so we'll be ready to go as soon as you are?

No specs, you just pick any image you like and upload the sucker. Ideally it will be at least 500 x 160, but even if it isn't the tool won't complain.

Also I have a question kind of related to the subject. Does Opera for Windows process and render the same as Opera for Mac and Opera for Linux?

I don't know either, but with the possible exception of things like scroll bars and other little features that are normally left up to the OS to implement, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't.

shmax

The final score!
Opera: 1 bug (can't write to value for dynamically created input elements)
Firefox: 1 bug (can't dispatch MouseEvent clicks to file input element)

I was able to work around both issues fairly painlessly.

I didn't even bother trying IE9--I don't have it, and I know it's not gonna work.

Will do a little more testing tomorrow, and check-in on Friday.

Antron007

Thanks Shmax, 500x160 is the info that I was looking for. Now will we have to make our images in .gif format or will the tool convert our images to .gif? Good luck once again. Can't wait to see the finished product :)

shmax

Thanks Shmax, 500x160 is the info that I was looking for. Now will we have to make our images in .gif format or will the tool convert our images to .gif? Good luck once again. Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Any format should work. So far I've tried jpg, png, gif, and bmp.

shmax

February 07, 2013, 09:51:54 AM Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:51:12 AM by shmax
I was able to test in IE9; actually, everything works except for the image upload part, and I'm now showing a popup informing the user that he has made a poor life/browser choice when he clicks the button, thus solving the problem

Tripredacus

IE9? That's so last year. What about IE10?  ;D

shmax

What about IE10?  ;D

It works just fine without complaint, so there must be some mistake. Will troubleshoot later...

shmax

Fixed another round of bugs last night--still one to go.

Go Up