Option for diff currency then Selected Country

Started by Wajo357, January 25, 2013, 09:35:49 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Wajo357

Engledogg and I were talking about the situations, especially in 3rd party products, where an item is released out of the US (Like Japan, China, etc) yet the item is sold in US currency.

For instance:
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/10204/ultimate_fire sas sold exclusively by RobotKingdom, but the release country should be Japan. Once you change the release to Japan, the currency changes to Yen, not the price RobotKingdom is selling it for.

I was thinking that we should have the option of selecting a different currency then the default from the country selected.
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

engledogg

January 25, 2013, 10:00:18 AM Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:32:14 AM by engledogg
The release country for Ultimate Fire should be changed to Hong Kong (they're based in HK), since it's a RobotKingdom exclusive, but yes, there are a few rare instances where the currency mismatch would occur...perhaps an override function could be created?  Ideally, I'd be for such a function, but if it were to significantly delay toyline expansion...not so much.  Having said that...

Looking at the state of our 3rd party categories in general, I see countries of release ranging from Hong Kong to Canada to the United States, even within the same 3rd party category...I almost want to say that we should either:

a) default all 3rd party products (with the exception of items that ARE exclusive to certain countries/stores, like the one Wajo mentioned above) to the United States (as it seems most people that buy these items are likely based in the U.S., or at the very least, most of the stock ends up in U.S.-based secondary market outlets or, in the case of RK, non-U.S. stores that charge in USD).

or

b) somehow come up with a "worldwide" option, since 99% of these things don't seem to be country-specific, or at least we (and other sites) don't really seem to consider the actual country of production or the location of the 3rd party company as the official country of release.  These items tend to be sold at the secondary-market level and, for the most part, we list them as such, using BBTS "release dates" and prices as official release dates and MSRPs  I mean, where is FansProject based out of?  Or Dr. Wu?  I sure as heck don't know.

These types of items don't really follow the model that we use for official items, in that many do not have distinct venues, countries of release, official release dates, etc....they are made, ordered by secondary-market stores, and just sort of "show up" and then we go from there.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Engledogg and I were talking about the situations, especially in 3rd party products, where an item is released out of the US (Like Japan, China, etc) yet the item is sold in US currency.

For instance:
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/10204/ultimate_fire sas sold exclusively by RobotKingdom, but the release country should be Japan. Once you change the release to Japan, the currency changes to Yen, not the price RobotKingdom is selling it for.

I was thinking that we should have the option of selecting a different currency then the default from the country selected.

That sounds reasonable, and I do have the currency/price combo widget now. Remind me in a bit after I finish the sig builder, and I'll see what I can do.

shmax

b) somehow come up with a "worldwide" option, since 99% of these things don't seem to be country-specific, or at least we (and other sites) don't really seem to consider the actual country of production or the location of the 3rd party company as the official country of release.  These items tend to be sold at the secondary-market level and, for the most part, we list them as such, using BBTS "release dates" and prices as official release dates and MSRPs  I mean, where is FansProject based out of?  Or Dr. Wu?  I sure as heck don't know.

These types of items don't really follow the model that we use for official items, in that many do not have distinct venues, countries of release, official release dates, etc....they are made, ordered by secondary-market stores, and just sort of "show up" and then we go from there.

What if we sort of increased the granularity of the "releases"? I know we've talked about doing that before for things like g1 toys where there is no real "MSRP", with the idea being that you simply list as many known stores and the prices they sold them for, and leave it up to the user to decide how much this thing sold for. Maybe the same pattern could apply to these weird releases--rather than try to nail down a specific country/price/currency, you just cover as many as you can.

True, that still leaves the question of which "country" node to put them under in the toyline tree, but I would think that you would just choose the country of manufacture (and one of these days i still want to explore the idea of replacing the country nodes in the toyline tree with a filtering system).

Go Up