[RESOLVED]ebay listings dont match pictured item

Started by Jazz 342, September 07, 2012, 09:20:13 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

engledogg

September 11, 2012, 08:44:40 AM Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:48:14 AM by engledogg
Also, technically, there was a "Transformers" line released in 2003:

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/3444/optimus_prime

Sure, it uses the RID packaging style but the only thing found on the packaging is "Transformers".  So should we have this aberration in nomenclature be a top-level category?  And if we do, would the 2010 version of "Transformers" be a continuation of it?  If not, then how do we differentiate between the two very different lines?  Should we call the Spy Changer line "Transformers" and the Transformers line from 2010...maybe Transformers (2010)?  :)

Of course, I'm being facetious...I'm just saying that naming (and organizing) these categories isn't as easy as it looks.  It has to make sense and be able to work with other stuff in the database.

MIKE
engledogg

Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Tripredacus

Oh I certainly know the problems with the naming of the lines. I tend to just keep things simple and use what is actually on the package. The only problem was the RID line (thanks for bringing it up, but your example is actually Armada packaging) actually using Robots in Disguise as the title of the series. Beforehand, it was simply just a slogan that appeared on the packaging.

I think maybe what makes it difficult here is that you can potentially see the different sections using the tree view, whereas in my lists, you can only see 1 year/country at a time which is the perspective that I am viewing this with.

Anyways, my comment isn't a complaint or anything. I say just go with what works.

Jazz 342

For some reason titanium optimus is linking to cybertron optimus again. http://shmax.com/product_details/5369/optimus_prime

shmax

For some reason titanium optimus is linking to cybertron optimus again. http://shmax.com/product_details/5369/optimus_prime

Working on it. More soon.

shmax

Still working on it! Well, actually the code's done and it works, but I had to tear a lot of stuff apart to fix this, and I don't want to check it in until I can spend some time testing it. This was sort of an interesting one:

1. This toy lives in a category that is a child of a node called "Cybertron Heroes". We had this marked as a "subline". I won't go into the details of the algorithm that generates the search, but in a nutshell this was winding up in the search string being sent to eBay, and sellers apparently never use the term (presumably because it's either not on the packaging, or is somewhere inconspicuous).

2. To weasel around this, I switched "Cybertron Heroes" from "subline" to "minor", and promoted the child, "Universe" to subline.  There's a bit of logic in the search generation algorithm that decides if both the subline and toyline names are needed; if the subline name is not in use by any other toys with the same name but with a different toyline, it uses both the subline name and the toyline name. There were no other toys with a subline name of "universe", so the algo decided it didn't need the toyline name, which produced too broad of a search. An easy tweak was to simply check if the subline name shared the name of any toylines in use by the similar toys (named "optimus prime"), and if it did, include both the toyline and subline.

Does your brain hurt yet? Mine does.

So for this particular toy, the subline was "universe". The only similar toyline was called "universe (2008)", which didn't match, so the toyline was not added to the search string. So I tweaked things such that all parenthetical terms are removed when doing all this figurin'.

"But wait!" you yell. "What about the regular 'universe' toyline?" Yes, it should have turned up a match. It didn't, because when I was working locally I accidentally switched it to "minor".

To make a dumb story short, I fixed everything and it works swell locally, and will check in soon.

I'm glad we could have this talk.

shmax

Okay, everything's checked-in. Check it out:

http://shmax.com/product_details/5369/optimus_prime

Still not seeing as many auctions as I would like to see, but the auctions we do match seem to be spot-on.

Jazz 342

Sounds complicated.  Why does the price history chart stop at October 2011?

shmax

That's a very good question, and is the next mystery I intend to solve. Thanks for hanging in there.

shmax

That's a very good question, and is the next mystery I intend to solve. Thanks for hanging in there.

Mystery solved! I've checked in a fix, and everything should be groovy once more in a few hours.

Jazz 342

Is there a global fix for this? It seems like a common issue that the price history isnt self-updating.

shmax

Is there a global fix for this? It seems like a common issue that the price history isnt self-updating.

Yes, it seems that my automated scripts aren't properly refreshing products. Working on it...

shmax

Yes, it seems that my automated scripts aren't properly refreshing products. Working on it...

Fix checked-in. Everything should be shiny by morning... please verify. Thanks much.

shmax

Fix checked-in. Everything should be shiny by morning... please verify. Thanks much.

Whoops--I just found a bug that was preventing all products from updating. I've fixed it, and restart all my scripts, so please check back in about 5 hours...

Jazz 342

Your fix seems to have helped significantly, but there are still a few items in my collection that are still buggy. Ill post links when I get a chance. Awesome work, guys!

engledogg

November 17, 2012, 11:18:57 PM Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:24:48 PM by engledogg
shmax, check this one out:

http://shmax.com/product_details/3425/robot_man_x_red_and_yellow

It seems to be ignoring the Argentina category, giving results for the U.S. versions.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Go Up