New Mini-Bot KOs: now with more sleaze!

Started by engledogg, February 23, 2013, 06:21:37 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

engledogg

February 23, 2013, 06:21:37 PM Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:37:51 PM by engledogg
Check these out (originally found over on TFW2005):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-80s-1985-Takara-Hasbro-Gen-1-G1-Transformers-OUTBACK-minibots-Robot-Lot-/261169418844?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3ccee9125c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261168999047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-1985-Takara-Hasbro-Gen-1-G1-Transformers-HUBCAP-Autobot-Robots-lot-/251228607609?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a7e645479

Vintage G1 Mini-Bots, right? 

Nope. 

Really?  They've gotta be...they have the old TRU stickers I remember from the 1980s! 

Nope.

The freakin' KO artists are now faking old TRU price stickers.  Old price stickers used to be a pretty good bet that something was authentic and vintage, but not anymore.

The classic giveaways are still present (peg hole punched dead center for CJ, no rubsign for Hubcap, no chest sticker for Outback, etc.), but the douchebags have upped their game by now knocking-off the old TRU price stickers and placing them on their KO Mini-Bots.

Now, for the record, I'm not saying this seller is the one doing this...I have no clue at what point these stickers are added to the cards or who put them on...for all I know, the seller could also have been duped into thinking these were legit vintage Mini-Bots when he bought them and just doesn't know any better. 

So, if you see something like this, steer clear as it's a cleverly-disguised KO.  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Check these out (originally found over on TFW2005):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-80s-1985-Takara-Hasbro-Gen-1-G1-Transformers-OUTBACK-minibots-Robot-Lot-/261169418844?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3ccee9125c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261168999047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-1985-Takara-Hasbro-Gen-1-G1-Transformers-HUBCAP-Autobot-Robots-lot-/251228607609?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a7e645479

Vintage G1 Mini-Bots, right? 

Nope. 

Really?  They've gotta be...they have the old TRU stickers I remember from the 1980s! 

Nope.

The freakin' KO artists are now faking old TRU price stickers.  Old price stickers used to be a pretty good bet that something was authentic and vintage, but not anymore.

The classic giveaways are still present (peg hole punched dead center for CJ, no rubsign for Hubcap, no chest sticker for Outback, etc.), but the douchebags have upped their game by now knocking-off the old TRU price stickers and placing them on their KO Mini-Bots.

Now, for the record, I'm not saying this seller is the one doing this...I have no clue at what point these stickers are added to the cards or who put them on...for all I know, the seller could also have been duped into thinking these were legit vintage Mini-Bots when he bought them and just doesn't know any better. 

So, if you see something like this, steer clear as it's a cleverly-disguised KO.  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

MIKE
engledogg

They're getting better all the time, but these are still easy to spot--the 'R' is backwards.

engledogg

February 24, 2013, 07:58:21 AM Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:06:07 AM by engledogg
They're getting better all the time, but these are still easy to spot--the 'R' is backwards.

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

MIKE
engledogg

Heh, nice. What I don't get is why they bother knocking-off these minor doo-dads. People seem to know they're fake either way, so if you're going to do it, why not do some of the boxed cars, or better?

engledogg

February 24, 2013, 10:29:04 AM Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:39:27 AM by engledogg
The cars are more expensive to produce, is probably the best answer I can give.

Overall, though, I think they do it to quickly prey on those people that don't really follow this kinda stuff in the form of a "Whoa, there's a sticker, it has to be legit...Buy it Now!".  Before, just making the packaging look 90% identical to the original was good enough to fool people that weren't knowledgeable about these KOs, and now, with the addition of the sticker, it's all the more "authentic" looking.

Now that a lot of people who didn't know anything about these before now do, that novelty has worn off, so they're slapping on price stickers to try to lure some more people in...granted, they're not doing themselves any favors by using these stickers on the existing easy-to-identify-as-KOs items.  The next step will probably be finally fixing all the errors on the KO packaging (spelling errors, hole punch placement, rubsign vs. non-rubsign, robot vs. vehicle bubble sorting, etc.), and continuing on with the KO TRU stickers to make them indistinguishable from the legit vintage product.

I mean, seriously, if sites that document these KOs, like HighEndTfs.com, didn't exist, pointing out the (sometimes minute) differences between the KOs and real Transformers, the number of people thinking they've added legit G1 toys to their collection only to have been duped by some sleazeballs would be astronomical.  As it is, I'm sure more than a few people have been fooled by these things just because they didn't know where to look on the Internet, or maybe the thought that these toys could be KOs never even crossed their mind.

The KOs do evolve...there are at least three iterations of the Devastator Gift Set KOs that have improved upon the look of the packaging (corrected the format errors, edited the colors, etc.), with each attempt looking more and more like the real deal. 

Assclowns.

MIKE
engledogg

Antron007

Another reason they mess with the mini-cars and not Cars is because people are more likely to spend $10 or so on a whim then they are $20-$30. I often buy things that I'm unsure of with the attitude that it's only $X so I'm not out much if I'm unhappy but got a great deal if I am. It's easier to get 10 dimes from 10 people than it is to get a dollar out of one.

Tripredacus

You don't give these guys enough credit. The minibot market has picked up considerably in recent years. I'm sure that these guys realise that as well.

tusko

I like 'em cheap.  $2

triKlops

That sticker work is pretty intense.
Sticker distressing will be the new raised bar for KOs now; along the line of the box distressing on the 3rd Party Glacialbots boxes.

Go Up