White card with white background... I suck....

Started by tusko, March 31, 2012, 10:27:33 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

tusko

I tried to take a few pics of Botshot toys.
The card is really shiny white in the top corner.... I can't get a white background without washing out the details.
Any suggestions?

tusko

Okay, so I can put the subject into shadow and then post process to get this:

The images are grainy and lack detail in my opinion.
Thoughts?

tusko

Cannot read the words!

shmax

Okay, so I can put the subject into shadow and then post process to get this:
The images are grainy and lack detail in my opinion.
Thoughts?

Hmm, something does seem a little off. Maybe you could bring back some of the light? Also, can you tell us a little about your equipment? What kind of camera are you using? What lighting?

tusko

SONY DSC-W30 - 6 megapixel cam.
F/2.8
exposure time 1/20 sec
Iso 80
exposure bias +1.3 step
Focal length 6 mm
Max aperture 3
Metering mode - pattern
No flash
Tungsten light
Manual white balance
High saturation

BlackMagnus

Maybe try a different angle? Some are taken with the camera pointing slighty downwards. I never really liked the way mine turned out on white either, it's why I switched to black/grey.

shmax

Hey Tusko, did you ever manage to figure out how to get your camera out of low-res mode?

tusko

Switched to a different camera: Fuji FinePix F300EXR!  HA!
I think maybe the ol' Sony CCD has given up on me.

shmax

Nice, I don't think we've had anyone submit anything from one of those. How are the lighting experiments going? As I recall your photos tend to suffer from what we in the field call "crazy bugnuts shadows going everywhere" syndrome. Everyone's got their own system, but the goal (for us, anyway) is to have a single, soft, fuzzy little bunny of a shadow right at the feet of the figure, which means you should have your most powerful lights overhead (Highprime swears you should ONLY have lights overhead; your mileage may vary).

tusko

I still have too many shadows. I think my side lights for illumination of the white background are too strong. Additionally, the pictures have a very high contrast to them.  Its all black and white with very little range in the histogram. 

Go Up