What are you playing now?

Started by shmax, July 07, 2011, 10:51:44 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

July 07, 2011, 10:51:44 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'm currently slogging through Dante's Inferno. I've only played through a single chapter so far, but I can tell you that all the over-the-top demon bashing feels like a pleasant calming walk in the park after the chaos of Darksiders. Darksiders was a cross between Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, God of War, and about 400 Frank Frazetta calendars. It was punishingly long, strangely talky (though it does win some points back for giving Mark Hamill some work) and proudly unoriginal. Dante's Inferno lacks the production design and voice talent, and has super cheesy hand-animated cut-scenes. I guess I can't really recommend either game unless, like me, you've already played through every other 4-to-5 star game available to dork-kind and are just counting time until November when the clouds open and begin to rain sequels down upon us.

Before that was F.E.A.R. 2, which was really neato, and before that was all 4 Red Faction games. You should definitely go pick up Red Faction: Guerilla. I don't throw around the term "glorious orgy of destruction" (G.O.O.D.) too often, but this one qualifies and then some.

Wajo357

July 07, 2011, 01:31:35 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'm not a gamer. The closest I've come recently is watched a walk-through of the whole Back to the Future game on youtube. lol
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

SoS

July 07, 2011, 02:20:34 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
At the moment I'm playing Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

--SoS

SoS

July 08, 2011, 09:20:11 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Got tired of the repetition with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, so I took a break from playing it. Not saying the game is repetitive It's just that my need to unlock everything in a game has me going back and forth replaying the same missions to get the 100%.

FIFA 11
Going through another season with my created player. Adelante Real Madrid!

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3
Playing as Full Frontal in the Story Missions: Those Who Fight!

--SoS

shmax

July 08, 2011, 11:14:52 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I decided to try Vanquish. Mindless, but energetic. Is that Gundam game any good? Historically they've all been sort of poopy.

SoS

July 09, 2011, 07:50:31 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Have you played any of the Dynasty Warriors games? It's pretty much a hack 'n' slash game with some strategy elements. As a Gundam fan I enjoy it.

--SoS

shmax

July 09, 2011, 10:12:41 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Actually, I think I do remember playing a demo. I'll keep an eye out for it in the 'ol bargain bin...

shmax

July 10, 2011, 03:19:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Well, I finished Vanquish, and am now working on Lost Planet 2. Lordy, is this game awful (and I should have known better, as I still remember the snorefest that was the first game in the series). It makes me want to heap a little more praise on Vanquish--it was actually insanely fast, fun, polished, and on at least 3 occasions I found myself yelling 'sweet holy monkey balls!" at what I was seeing on the screen. Lost Planet 2 has me mostly wishing it was over. Avoid.

Tripredacus

July 12, 2011, 04:04:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I had started Dynasty Warriors 4 (PS2) about a month ago. I have already beat Wei and am now working on one of the unlockable characters... Although I may be on Wu. I had to take a break because I was playing it enough that my left thumb was really hurting. May pick it up again tho.

I've also been playing the Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams collection (both PS2 and PS3) on a weekly basis.

Also been playing Funhouse (the actual pinball game) at work once a day or so before I  :arrow:  for home.

shmax

July 14, 2011, 09:58:17 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Finished up Lost Planet 2. I was a little too harsh on it initially; after the first chapter the action picks up quite a bit and there were a few spectacles in there that seared themselves onto the 'ol eyebones well enough. Midway through I took a break and decided to try out Madworld for the Wii. The concept hooked me: an arcade beat 'em up rendered entirely in black and white, except for the blood. In practice, I found the gameplay nigh incomprehensible. Ugh. I'm gonna pop in Uncharted 2 next, which I played nearly through Thanksgiving before last, but never quite finished.

shmax

July 20, 2011, 04:26:56 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Finished Uncharted 2. It was fun, but I don't know where all the "best game of all time!!!" slobbering is coming from. Seemed like a pretty straightforward action game to me with fairly simple shooting and climbing mechanics and a stock story (you must race to stop a bad guy who wants to steal a magic rock to become super strong and rule the world, somehow), though I'll allow that the voice acting is top-notch. But what do I know?

For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I decided I wanted to play all four "Yakuza" games, so I've started on part one. I actually went so far as to buy a new PS2 to indulge this pointless whim. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Tripredacus

July 21, 2011, 11:43:48 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I've been playing the Sims 2. Its a pretty fun game.

SoS

August 20, 2011, 04:40:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Started re-playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions so I'm not too rusty once Spider-Man: Edge of Time is released. I've also been playing Star Wars: Republic Commando with my brother, it's his first time playing the game. Also, I never actually finished the game my first time through...so I guess that's an incentive for me. I'm also playing Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 off and on, especially after a long stressful day at work.

--SoS

SoS

January 01, 2012, 08:51:12 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Star Wars: The Old Republic. Seven years....seven long years, seven years of waiting in anticipation for a continuation to KOTOR games. I haven't stopped playing this game since beta testing in November. According to my wife, I've been playing a little too much :p.

It's been such a sweet homecoming for me to play this game. Getting to actually create a few of my original fan characters that I dreamed up ever since I became a Star Wars fan. So yeah, what else can I say. Pretty damn good game, not your typical MMO.

--SoS
*Goes back to play TOR*

shmax

January 01, 2012, 09:14:25 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'm with you, brother. I bought the game last week, but didn't get past making a character. I spent too long on it because no matter what I did he came out looking like Han Solo. I even wound up in what looked like a knock-off Millenium Falcon. Ah, well, can't blame them for giving us what we wanted. We should get a shmax.com group together and go out and womp some womp-rats, or whatever it is you do. In the meantime I'm finally slogging through Skyrim, which threatens to take forever, plus a week.

Go Up