MP-01 Convoy Reissue

Started by Spiff-O-Matic, October 28, 2015, 05:39:59 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Spiff-O-Matic

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/8875/convoy

I just got this guy and he does look pretty much identical to the original release. There is a new ad/insert with him though. Do we need to make a separate listing for the reissue so that can be included, or do we disregard ad-type inserts?

engledogg

Good question..I'm leaning towards a new product.

This (the subject of reissues) is something that has been a topic of conversation for a while...to me, if the original and the reissue are released YEARS apart, that reissue should probably be a new product, especially in this case as there are new contents and the packaging seems to be different, albeit slightly. 

Regarding reissues in general, I know that people think that if two parts look identical, they're the same part, but that's not really true. 

As a hypothetical example, handed a single part with no other context, someone might not be able to tell the difference between an original G1 Optimus Prime roller tire from 1984 and one from a recent 2012 reissue because they look physically identical (they may have the same dimensions, weight, color, type of plastic, sprue marks, etc.) but they're certainly not the same part and shouldn't be shared between the two products.  Now, with this example, the time between releases spans decades and toylines, but what about stuff that like the MP reissues?

Like I said, it might boil down to time between releases and production runs...for Convoy, it's unlikely that the contents of these items are part of the same production run, with half of them released on schedule and the rest stored in a warehouse somewhere on the off-chance they'll be released years down the road, right?.  I'm assuming that there was a second production run for the reissue. 

I have no doubt that some reissues are planned exactly as I described above, with a portion of parts held back for a planned "near-future refresh", but for something like this, with the reissue coming out years later, I'm not so sure.

So, what do we consider a significant amount of time between releases is?  Months?  Years?  Should separate products be tied to production runs no matter the time gap?

Like I alluded to earlier, this stuff is trickier than it looks, so feel free to opine.  :)

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

engledogg

October 28, 2015, 10:28:38 AM Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:30:25 AM by engledogg
Oh, to answer your question about inserts...that's something that we, ideally, probably should try to include when we can, but for older products like G1, it is tricky to nail down which inserts/ads came with which toys. 

Did the "Reinforcements from Cybertron" insert show up in every toy of a certain assortment, production run, or was it random?  Exactly when did the second version of the checklist catalog kick in? 

Also what do we consider significant enough to include?  Randomly-packaged stuff also makes this kind of a nightmare, as well.

MIKE
engledogg

Spiff-O-Matic

With the inserts, I see your point on older stuff but on new stuff it's easy to know what came from where. I've also noticed that not a single MP figure has ever listed that little black & white sheet with the QR code on it, so I've never photographed one. Of course the code has no value to me so I don't care if someone uses it. What kind of inserts are randomly packaged?

Should I go ahead and make a new product for this release? I've already photographed some items, and I actually submitted the package, instruction and tech card pics as replacements for the old, not-so-high-quality ones I submitted years ago. If we're going the new product route you should cancel those edits before they get accidentally approved and the old photos are lost forever, since I don't have the old ones any more.

Spiff-O-Matic

I just went and downloaded all the full size images from the original MP-10 release as a backup for myself.

engledogg

I'll approve the new photos and keep the old ones as well.  We can always move photos around if need be.

Also, I didn't see a submission for the new instruction booklet, just the package and tech card pics.

MIKE
engledogg

Spiff-O-Matic

Yeah, I didn't do the instruction book since the old pic was pretty good already.

Spiff-O-Matic

So am I doing a new listing, or just updating the photos on the old listing?

engledogg

October 29, 2015, 11:36:49 AM Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:40:04 AM by engledogg
For now, just add the new photos to the old listings.  Just remember to not delete the old photos.  :)

Also, leave the old photos as the primary and form photos...that way if we go the new product route, we won't have to reassign those again.

MIKE
engledogg

Go Up