NicholasPrime's Weird & Wacky TF Finds Thread (now all in one place!)

Started by NicholasPrime, December 17, 2014, 06:28:23 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

NicholasPrime

December 17, 2014, 06:28:23 PM Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:40:20 AM by NicholasPrime
So I found yet another playing card tin today at Kohl's. This one is called "2 Giant Playing Card Decks" and has instructions to play Crazy Eights, Go Fish, Rummy, and Snap. Oddly enough, it is a different size tin from the other set I listed, is taped shut with circular seals instead of being shrink wrapped, and yet shares a UPC code and item number.
On a side note, should I just start a thread for all the bizarre TF Merch I find? As opposed to starting new threads every time I find something? I don't want to clutter up the place. I probably have a couple hundred more things I could add, depending how specific this database wants to get. Where are we drawing the line with what is in the database and what isn't? (i.e. bath supplies, toothbrushes, stickers, posters, etc)

engledogg

I would keep track of everything you find in one thread.

As far as what we consider for the database,  that's something we've been talking about forever.  Over the years, there has been a TON of Transformers non-toy merchandise.

Some stuff, like clothing, bolts of fabric, movies (dvds, vhs, etc. that don't have toys), and the like, for me, would probably be sorta off limits...how do other people feel?

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

KidTDragon

I'm of the opinion that any non-toy merchandise on the site that isn't packed with a "real" toy should be three-dimensional and/or toy-like (a Xmas ornament, for example). And how would the cards be handled as parts? Would they be entered as one deck, or would every card have to get a part listing?
<br />

engledogg

For the few board games in the database for which we have contents listed, I made unique listings for each card.

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/3565/battle_for_cybertron

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/7485/adventure_game_defeat_the_decepticons

I think the same would apply with card games, as well.  It might seem like overkill, but if we just kept them as a single deck, if someone would lose a card, they'd have to remove the entire deck from their collection as the deck is no longer complete.  If we list them individually, then they can indicate that they're missing only that single card and still be able to claim they own the rest of the contents.

For stuff like puzzles, that's something we really haven't tackled yet.  I'm leaning towards treating them as we will ideally treat model kits.  Each part gets a record.

But yeah, stuff like ornaments, card games, puzzles, key-chains, etc. have already made their way into the database.  As long as they're toy-esque, I have no problem with adding merchandise to the database. 

MIKE
engledogg

Spiff-O-Matic

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/12172/transformers_playing_cards_megatron

For example, I have this deck. I do plan on taking photos of each card eventually.

NicholasPrime

Found a new Walmart Exclusive Construct-Bots set, but can't add it because there's no node for Walmart under Construct-Bots Exclusives. Here's the details:

Bumblebee with Strafe vs. Decepticon Stinger, UPC 653569983408, Item #A7857

Additionally, There's a new Transformers Prime "Clip-On Hand Wash" in the shape of Optimus made by MZB Accessories (which I'm assuming is the same as MZ Berger & Associates) It's the 2014/AOE trade dress, but it's a Prime product, so I wasn't sure where to put it. Here's the stats:

Clip-On Hand Wash, UPC 692237078985, Item #CTF10013, Packaged on card, MFR: MZB Accessories, released sometime this year.

Here's another piece that's probably up for a little more debate-- A Bumblebee Travel Bath Set (also by MZB). Item consists of 3 travel bottles (shampoo/conditioner, gel, and body wash) in a vinyl zippered bag. There's nothing toy-like or figural here, but the bag with BB on it is pretty neat. What do we do with this? If it is to be part of the database, where do I put it? It's TF:Prime in 2014 trade dress again.

Pics below.

engledogg

Found a new Walmart Exclusive Construct-Bots set, but can't add it because there's no node for Walmart under Construct-Bots Exclusives. Here's the details:

We've already got this one in the database:

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/19539/bumblebee_with_strafe_vs_decepticon_stinger

It was under a different subcategory.

Additionally, There's a new Transformers Prime "Clip-On Hand Wash" in the shape of Optimus made by MZB Accessories (which I'm assuming is the same as MZ Berger & Associates) It's the 2014/AOE trade dress, but it's a Prime product, so I wasn't sure where to put it. Here's the stats:

Clip-On Hand Wash, UPC 692237078985, Item #CTF10013, Packaged on card, MFR: MZB Accessories, released sometime this year.

Here's another piece that's probably up for a little more debate-- A Bumblebee Travel Bath Set (also by MZB). Item consists of 3 travel bottles (shampoo/conditioner, gel, and body wash) in a vinyl zippered bag. There's nothing toy-like or figural here, but the bag with BB on it is pretty neat. What do we do with this? If it is to be part of the database, where do I put it? It's TF:Prime in 2014 trade dress again.

Pics below.

Anyone have any thoughts?  I'm leaning towards allowing the first one due to the "toyish" nature of the bottle, but not so much the second one.  But then again, I don't know.

MIKE
engledogg

NicholasPrime

We've already got this one in the database:

http://www.shmax.com/product_details/19539/bumblebee_with_strafe_vs_decepticon_stinger

It was under a different subcategory.

Oh. I thought I had checked there too, but apparently I missed it. Thanks. Sorry about that.

Tripredacus

Anyone have any thoughts?  I'm leaning towards allowing the first one due to the "toyish" nature of the bottle, but not so much the second one.  But then again, I don't know.

MIKE
engledogg

The second one, being the clip-thing? Is it just a newer type of one of these?
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/17607/zipper_clip_wheeljack

engledogg

December 29, 2014, 07:48:23 AM Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:04:28 AM by engledogg
The second one being the Bumblebee Travel Bath set.

Also, NP, do you mind mentioning where you get these items?  That way other folks that are interested in owning these would know where to go to buy them, that is, if you found them at Walmart, Target, etc..

For example, all those little 48-piece puzzles were found at Dollar Tree and Five Below.  I found the Optimus/Grimlock lunchbox puzzle at both Five Below and Family Dollar, and got the 3-Puzzle set tin at Dollar General.

Crazy little peripheral merchandise like this is sometimes hard to find, so the more info out there, the better.

MIKE
engledogg

engledogg

December 29, 2014, 06:49:09 PM Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:52:05 PM by engledogg
That reminds me, NP...this puzzle:
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/18660/super_3d_puzzle_optimus_prime_grimlock

I see that you own it, so can you confirm something for me?  Does the puzzle actually feature Prime riding Grimlock or is this listing just describing the box front?

I just want to confirm as I found one today at Walmart, at a significantly higher-price point ($8.97) which has the Prime riding Grimlock box front, but it is a lenticular image, and the actual puzzle is a group shot of Bumblebee, Strafe, beside Prime, who is riding Grimlock.

It looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-Super-3D-Puzzle-150-pcs-Optimus-Prime-Grimlock/201251410034

There's also another one that I found while looking around the net:
http://www.calendars.com/Action-Movies/Transformers-4-150-Piece-Super-3D-Puzzle/prod201500012946/?categoryId=cat00057&seoCatId=cat00057

Quite a few puzzles out there, I guess.

MIKE
engledogg

Tripredacus

Quite a few puzzles out there, I guess.

MIKE
engledogg

I think there are way more puzzles (and other game type things) out there than we know of. I have the "3D" AoE puzzle as well but I never opened it. Companies have been using the term "3D" to describe the use of Lenticular images a lot recently. When done properly (and depending on the viewer) you can get a pretty good 3D effect... or at least it will look like one layer is above another. This isn't always the case. The best example I have of this is actually a TF notebook (the kind you'd get for school) and it looks really nice.

NicholasPrime

January 15, 2015, 06:43:46 PM Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:55:25 PM by NicholasPrime
...take two...last post didn't go through. =/

Sorry for the late reply/long absence, I've been away in Florida visiting family.

Tripredacus: The Clip-On Hand Wash is brand new Prime merchandise. The WJ Zipper Clip is a vintage merch piece. I have attached a comparison pic below.

Engledogg: That's actually my eBay auction you linked to (I had an extra), so yes, that's the one. I've already packed it away into storage, but I can probably dig it out in a little bit. IIRC, the front picture is just cropped from the full image displayed on the back, as you described. I hadn't seen that Calendars.com one, so I guess I'll have to get it! Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry about the lack of locations listed, I'll try to add that information going forward. If anybody has any questions about specific things I'd listed previously, I can try to dig up the receipts.

NicholasPrime

Now onto the new business- while I was away, I found a couple new pieces of merchandise at Universal Studios. Optimus and Bumblebee Uni-Minis. They appear to be Universal's answer to Disney's Vinylmation. They retail at 14.95 in the park shops. I have attached a couple pictures below.

Also, I found a bunch of odds and ends at Walmart today:

-Transformers Prime 32 Valentines (with 8 character cards and 35 stickers) by American Greetings
     -Transformers Angry Birds Play Pack by Bendon Publishing (crayons, stickers, and coloring book in a foil pouch)
     -Age of Extinction Yazzles Light Stix by Blip Toys (this is probably the most bizarre thing in the lot- it's a foam/plastic stick with lights inside activated with a button on the bottom. The movie bots are wrapped around the stick, and the stick features several different colors and light settings.)
     -Transformers Prime Bumblebee Ceramic Piggy Bank by FAB Starpoint.

The first two are pretty firmly in the printed material category, so they're probably not right for the database...? But the last two are neat, or at least quirky. Pics below.

engledogg

Now onto the new business- while I was away, I found a couple new pieces of merchandise at Universal Studios. Optimus and Bumblebee Uni-Minis. They appear to be Universal's answer to Disney's Vinylmation. They retail at 14.95 in the park shops. I have attached a couple pictures below.

Cool...thanks for the info!  I'll eventually have to track down a set.

Also, I found a bunch of odds and ends at Walmart today:

-Transformers Prime 32 Valentines (with 8 character cards and 35 stickers) by American Greetings
     -Transformers Angry Birds Play Pack by Bendon Publishing (crayons, stickers, and coloring book in a foil pouch)
     -Age of Extinction Yazzles Light Stix by Blip Toys (this is probably the most bizarre thing in the lot- it's a foam/plastic stick with lights inside activated with a button on the bottom. The movie bots are wrapped around the stick, and the stick features several different colors and light settings.)
     -Transformers Prime Bumblebee Ceramic Piggy Bank by FAB Starpoint.

The first two are pretty firmly in the printed material category, so they're probably not right for the database...? But the last two are neat, or at least quirky. Pics below.

Ha, I just bought one of those Yazzles Light Stix early last week.  The light display is pretty decent, especially for two bucks.

The Bumblebee piggy bank is already in the database:
http://www.shmax.com/product_details/19295/bumblebee_piggy_bank

Cool finds!

MIKE
engledogg

Go Up