3rd Party Discussion (thread formerly "Fans Project?")

Started by shmax, October 03, 2008, 10:32:22 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

October 03, 2008, 10:32:22 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Is this what most folks would consider a "bootleg"? Should it be included on the site?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Defensis Prime

October 03, 2008, 10:48:39 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Defensis Prime
'Bootleg' implies that there's an original item upon which to base an unofficial copy. This, hyperawesomeness aside, is original, but unofficial, and thusly has no place on the site.
--Defensis Prime: Psychotic Completist®
Scourge of the Retailworld, Harbinger of Full-Shelf Doom
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=4</a>

shmax

October 03, 2008, 11:12:46 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Okie-doke. It really does seem pretty cool, though, and I'm sure a lot of fans would buy it. I know we want no part of Big Lots crap and other super cheap knockoffs, but what if we add a "toyline" called "unlicensed", where we can put high-quality stuff like this? Just a thought--I don't want to start any holy wars, or anything.

Quote from: "Defensis Prime"
'Bootleg' implies that there's an original item upon which to base an unofficial copy. This, hyperawesomeness aside, is original, but unofficial, and thusly has no place on the site.

engledogg

October 04, 2008, 08:47:46 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by engledogg
Nope, I'm afraid I gotta side with DP on this one.  Knockoffs shouldn't be included on here.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

October 04, 2008, 09:02:16 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
But is this really a knockoff? It's an original design, isn't it?

Quote from: "engledogg"
Nope, I'm afraid I gotta side with DP on this one.  Knockoffs shouldn't be included on here.

MIKE
engledogg

engledogg

October 04, 2008, 09:20:57 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by engledogg
Knockoffs is a term thrown around too lightly.  Sorry about that.  I really mean knockoffs, bootlegs, unofficial, and unlicensed products shouldn't be on here.

That is an original design, yes, but unlicensed and unofficial.  And 100% awesome, but still...shouldn't be on here.:)

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Transfotaku

October 04, 2008, 08:04:03 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Transfotaku
I also vote not to include it, if that matters.

Why? Because you're apparently sticking with OFFICIAL toys. Toys released by some company that has an official licensing right to release into their region.

This is little more than a nicely done custom or kitbash. You open up the site to this, you open it up to unofficial toys of ALL kinds. Bootlegs, knockoffs, and even simple fan repaints and kitbashes too.

I vote to restrict the site to official stuff only, otherwise you start to slippery slope with stuff.

shmax

October 04, 2008, 10:39:57 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Okay, we stick with the licensed stuff! Thanks, guys...

Defensis Prime

October 07, 2008, 03:52:20 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Defensis Prime
We could do something doofy like make some further use of the page where all those articles about the increases in package listings are sitting. Review stuff like this, link to the shmax.com listings of the figure/s that use/s it, and just make sure to drive home the point that 'you're not gonna find a listing for this item anywhere on the main site, as this is unlicensed and unofficial'.

Just a thought. I wouldn't be much good for such reviews, btw, as I have enough of a time keeping up with official merch to bother with too much of the 'un'. I bought the JustIToys MP-1 Trailer, and have all of Unicron.com's items, but that's really it. I think interested users could submit articles they themselves write for such items (and feh, no reason to limit it to unofficial, after all). They probably oughta be proofread and edited before posting (which IS something I could handle, btw),--'cus content and clarity are important, dammit!!--and...probably shouldn't drown that page. 'Article of the Week', 'Article of the Whenever-the-hell-we-feel-like-it', whatever. Considering how much of the site is already user-submitted conten, it seems like a decent enough idea t'me.
--Defensis Prime: Psychotic Completist®
Scourge of the Retailworld, Harbinger of Full-Shelf Doom
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=4</a>

tec

October 09, 2008, 03:20:42 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by tec
Yeah knockoffs and the Ultra Magnus Trailer are two diffrant things all togather I would treat it like an aftermarket accessory pack
Like the Cliffjumper set

Maybe an external link to order thim in the triva section or facts area

Sort of like.. Also avalble thought BBTS or Just Toys is the trailer accessory for Ultra Magnus

There is a diffrance between a cheap KO of TM2 Megatron at Big Lots and Just toys awsomely designed Trailer for UM

slugpitcher

October 21, 2008, 09:58:50 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by slugpitcher
Quote from: "tec"
There is a diffrance between a cheap KO of TM2 Megatron at Big Lots and Just toys awsomely designed Trailer for UM
word. i think there is a place for these kinds of things or should be. what's wrong with being the site to come to when you're trying to find all things awesome. i'd rather come here for cool accesories than i figure and 8 forms of packaging it came in.

Hellscream333

October 25, 2008, 03:17:13 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Hellscream333
As awesome as this is (and I own it) I also vote it not be included. If it's not official it shouldn't count.
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=13" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=13</a>

shmax

October 25, 2008, 05:28:32 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Folks, for now we're sticking only with official "Tranformers" brand stuff. There are a few reasons:
1. If we allow even the occasional quality knock-off, then that sort of breaches the dam and people will wonder where the rest of the Big Lots junk is, or try to enter it themselves, which will put more of a burden on the site's moderators, who already have enough trouble managing the official stuff.
2. Technical reasons. Every record added to the database adds a little overhead, and at this modest stage in the site's lifetime we'd just as soon spend the resources on legitimate stuff.
3. Categorical purity. The top node in the toyline tree says "Transformers", meaning the Transformers brand.

Now, having said all that, I'll mention that if the site finally starts to take off in a big way, we're prepared to expand to other toylines (such as G.I.Joe, Star Wars, etc). Once we get to the point where additional toylines can be added easily without corrupting the existing infrastructure, there's no reason why we couldn't add a high-level generic "Transforming Robots" toyline, and that would be where stuff like these knock-offs will go.

Sound good?

slugpitcher

November 18, 2008, 11:19:44 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
gi joe? PFT!

i don't think anybody is suggesting big lots knock offs. I know I'm not.

I'm talking about the high end accessories that interact specifically with official TF merchandise. like the starscream coronation set that fits tightly onto MP starscreams head, or the Ultra magnus trailer that snaps tightly to  classics UM, or the up coming alternators OP gas can/matrix of leadership that fits under  the hood/chest of OP.

these are items that only work with the best official TFs. if great items like these are ignored then so should lucky draw and botcon items.

shmax

November 18, 2008, 09:11:14 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Well, Lucky Draw and Botcon items are "Transformers", in the sense that they are licensed and carry the brand (although we're considering tagging "Lucky Draw" items as non-collectible, meaning that they wouldn't count against or otherwise affect one's collection stats). The other items aren't. We're not making any judgments about whether they're cool or not--the only reason they're not currently on the site is that we're simply not set up properly for them yet. But we'll get there! Please be patient, and in time, all will be swell.

Max

Quote from: "slugpitcher"
gi joe? PFT!

i don't think anybody is suggesting big lots knock offs. I know I'm not.

I'm talking about the high end accessories that interact specifically with official TF merchandise. like the starscream coronation set that fits tightly onto MP starscreams head, or the Ultra magnus trailer that snaps tightly to  classics UM, or the up coming alternators OP gas can/matrix of leadership that fits under  the hood/chest of OP.

these are items that only work with the best official TFs. if great items like these are ignored then so should lucky draw and botcon items.

Go Up